Snake Avoidance

Beretta14

Snake Avoidance

Post by Beretta14 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Has anyone done snake avoidance with their dog? If so, what age was the dog and were you happy with the results?

Tejas

Re: Snake Avoidance

Post by Tejas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 am

The Lone star GSP Club does snake avoidance training every year in the DFW area in late July. We train dogs to avoid snakes by sight, scent and sound. We average training 60-80 dogs each year with many repeat customers. If you are interested, send me your email address and I will add you to the snake avoidance mailing list.

I should add that while there are usually several hunting dogs, we have done small family dogs to rotweilers.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 am

Beretta14 wrote:Has anyone done snake avoidance with their dog? If so, what age was the dog and were you happy with the results?
There is a vet here in Central Florida that most of us use for snake avoidance training. Both our dogs have been through the process & it seems to work well EXCEPT for pygmy rattlers. Although they have been used successfully during several of the sessions, the dogs have a hard time sensing them because they are ambush predators that hide under stuff (no rattling warning despite their name). So your dog can be sniffing around after a lizard and pow! Right in the nose!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 am

My dog was 10 months old and I love the results. I took him to a known snake avoidance trainer, who was also a bird dog trainer. He put on a collar and let the dog find the snake- then zapped him. Spent about an hour and half with my dog.

Upshot is, the next day we were out and my pup found something in some scrub brush. I know this because he took a whiff and Jumped straight up and dashed away.

It was worth the money for me.