Pine Island Wildlife Area/ Training grounds, Portage, Wi

Rod W

Pine Island Wildlife Area/ Training grounds, Portage, Wi

Post by Rod W » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

Just wondering if any of the Wisconsin gents on this forum know anything of this area? Do the Woodcock use this, I trained here for a few days just recently but only with released pigeons. I should have hunted, far and wide, I just wasn't thinking! AGAIN!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Pine Island Wildlife Area/ Training grounds, Portage, Wi

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Rod, simple answer is yes the woodcock "stop" there. We will be holding our NBHA Regional CH there next week - April 2-6, 2014. The reason I know they use that area is because one of our judges the past two years would come early and run his dogs on them. He would go out each afternoon after he was done judging and run them again.

If anyone happens to head over there make sure you stop up at the DNR buildings - off Levee Rd and Statz Rd. - to check and see if a trial is going on. From next week on, there are usually trials every week. That does NOT mean you can't run dogs, it just means there are certain areas you may need to stay away from.

Google Maps and type in - 900 Fairfield St, Portage, WI 53901 - Off Hwy 33 turn west on Fairfield St., it turns into Levee Rd. After 2-3 miles on Fairfield St./Levee Rd., look for Blount Rd. and head south (can only turn south/left). Hunt/train on the EAST side of Blount Rd.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for the info, I just talked with the Area manager and she also said the Woodcock stop on their flights thru.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17 am

Rod W wrote:Thanks for the info, I just talked with the Area manager and she also said the Woodcock stop on their flights thru.
Did she (was it Sara?) mention if the grounds are wet now? Or if the rivers have flooded them? Hoping NOT! Good luck!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 am

Sara, yes,She said it had rained last night, I don't believe anything flooded. It was high and dry Mon-Tue-we had a half inch of snow on the ground in the morn

Life Member NRA

larue

Post by larue » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 pm

have seen plenty of woodcock at pine island,and have watched a few be pointed in trials.It never hurts to point a wild bird in a trial.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Just arrived and rode the course at dusk. At least 4 different woodcock flushed.