Quality Game Birds

Ez4

Quality Game Birds

Post by Ez4 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi All,

Curious if anyone has suggestions for buying adult game birds in CA. I need a couple dozen for training and have two coops to keep them in. The best I have been finding is like 9$ for adult pheasant online, with quail and chukar being even more expensive. Can anyone endorse the quality of an online supplier they've used before?

I would potentially like to keep some (maybe a couple hens and a choice rooster?) to raise a few through to next season for training as well. What are the hardiest and low maintenance birds? Pheasant vs Chukar?

Thanks!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 pm

I love Wisconsin jumbo quail for training. They raise up easy and hardy like chukar but won't eat you out of house and home. They have nice big wings and don't get jumbo sized unless you stuff them with feed. As far as suppliers you'd have to raise them from chicks. Not much help I know but thought I'd throw that out there.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RCB

Re: Quality Game Birds

Post by RCB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I use to buy a bunch of bobwhites from K and L Quail in Orville, California. I had them shipped down to Southern California for a decent price. They were all good flyers. Have not used them in about 5 years but I think they are still around. 530 534-7139

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 pm

K and L still has birds it is where I buy game birds.
JG

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the suggestion. My old stomping grounds (Chico Alum). I'll give them a ring.

kar6man

Post by kar6man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Ez4, There are multiple pheasant farms out of Happy Valley. The only one that I am familiar with is T&D Pheasant, I have not personally bought any birds here as of yet. You may also try Moore's Hunt Club out of Lookout if you're near that area. He's got both chukar and pheasant.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 am

I think I have decided on pheasant. Though I am much further south, nearer the bay area. Anyone have any additional suggestions down my way?