Smart fetch, "fetch" to "back" command

magspa

Smart fetch, "fetch" to "back" command

Post by magspa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I just want to clarify i am not questioning anything about the program. This is my first time force fetching and Smart Fetch seems great. I just want to understand what I am doing. I understand the "hold" to "fetch" transition but not why you switch from "fetch" command to "back". I did try using the advanced search feature of the forum but nothing came up. Could somebody please explain this? Thanks

Meller

Re: Smart fetch, "fetch" to "back" command

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:17 am

PM: Evan Gramm on here or give him a call, I'm sure he will be glad to explain.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00 am

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. But here is the reply I returned via PM.

The practice is pretty standard to send on marks (falls the dog saw) on his name, and on blinds on "Back". Two reasons are that it's much easier for dogs to honor (other dogs) when they're sure they're the one being sent on a mark. If it's your dog's name he should know it's him. The other is that keeping the commands separate helps to keep the functions clear.

Evan
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Also, if you use the "fetch" command on a blind and the dog is unsuccessful, he has refused a command. Once the dog has been thoroughly forced, when told "fetch", he should virtually panic to find something to get in his mouth. When you command "back" on a blind, that simply tells the dog to leave the line in the greatest of haste and he expects to be handled to a successful conclusion.

Never decrease the importance of "fetch" to a dog by telling the dog "fetch" on a blind or "fetch" to find a downed bird. You're messing with fire if you do.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.