Field trial training winter?

Smoking aces

Field trial training winter?

Post by Smoking aces » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 pm

I am just curious what some of you guys do to prepare for spring field trials if you live in a state such as MN where the temps / snow have not been favorable for training outdoors. I know some go to winter camp but that's not an option right now for me. Thanks

Grousehunter123

Re: Field trial training winter?

Post by Grousehunter123 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Not much to do.

I work on whoa in the plowed driveway and retrieving. Just keep the dogs with some semblance of exercise.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:50 pm

We've had snow cover around here for several weeks. Last week several hours of freezing rain and sleet put a layer of ice three to four inches thick on top of the snow. Several inches of snow falling today and my dogs are having a heck of a time getting around in the yard!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Send your dog off for winter camp, find a friend to run it across the country, ummm don't live in a place where I can't train year round so that's a hard question.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm thinking of sending mine to Yucaipa, CA next winter. :wink:

But on a serious note, I know several people that use treadmills for their dogs - and the dogs love it.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 am

Send the vizsla.... 400 is how much the flight will cost. No worries just pay entry fees.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 am

We try to take advantage of every day that has sun shining even if it is cold. We run them at hunt clubs or at the trainers course in the snow to build up endurance and muscle. I can not afford to send them away for both summer and winter so we do what we can and the workout in the snow is very beneficial.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am

In the winter especially when the snow is on the ground I do endurance work, free running whether from foot or horse back every opportunity I get. When the elements are in my favor I will do a little bird work, and of course I hunt my dogs everychance I get.

In truth once your dogs are broke, and working the way you want the struggle seems to me to be conditioning. A little bird work here and there will go a long ways.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:22 pm

I haven't done much lately due to the cold (for me not so much the dogs), but earlier this year I went to the game farm and had a couple birds put out. I'm hoping to get there this weekend. With as much snow as we have it doesn't take too long to work the dogs. Once I see bare grounds or the snow mobile trails close I'm in the woods running on wild birds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm

free running every other day. Deep soft snow is a great endurance tool. Keeps them in good shape for Spring and makes them calm in the house. Below -10 or icy surface on the snow - we don't go.

and this mutt goes too..

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 pm

If it ain't rainin you ain't trainin! :lol: We had about 20" come down this weekend and as soon as we got the driveway shoveled (a workout all on its own) we loaded up the dogs and went cross country skiing. I did 7 miles and Gert did 13 in heavy snow. Seems like that might be decent conditioning. I'm still hurtin!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'