What e-collar to get?

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:30 pm

There are so many e-collars out their and I'm just starting to train for first time. I have a American Brittany and just want to take him Upland bird hunting. What is best collar for my $. I want a reliable collar but don't need the top of the line either. Any help would be great

ruffbritt4

Re: What e-collar to get?

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:43 pm

I have the TT sport basic g3 and it is easy to use and works well. I think they stopped making them but you still might be able to find one.

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks!! I'll look into it

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Brittany birddog wrote:Thanks!! I'll look into it
You may also want to look here http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars.html

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:I have the TT sport basic g3 and it is easy to use and works well. I think they stopped making them but you still might be able to find one.
Good collar now under a new name. I used it for years but now use a Dogtra 2500B/T as I wanted a locator feature.Very happy with it.Reasonable price

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=45605

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2500.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 am

The Sport Basic was my first collar like it has been for many. I found the thumb wheel intensity setting to be very easily moved inadvertently causing unintended stimulation levels. I stopped using the thing and bought a DT SYSTEMS SPT 2420. A couple years later, Tritronics had a $100 credit for upgrades. I upgraded to a Pro 100. My recommendation is to either get the DT Systems 2420 or a TT Pro. I think you'll probably end up buying another collar later like i did if you buy an entry level collar. Buy the best you can afford and you won't spend as much in the long run.

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks, I've been looking at Tritronics and will probably get one of them. Will try and spend a little more up front so not to have to buy another one later. Thanks for all the advice

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm

TT I had a sport dropped the transmitter in the snow. Found it in the spring. Still works. Now use a Pro. I prefer one that is simple with big buttons. Upland sport is nice.. I believe that is the name, one you can turn the beeper on/off with transmitter.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm a fan of DT, I'm phasing out my TT stuff for DT. I like that the transmitter floats as I do a lot of stuff around water.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I use the DT Micro IDT Plus. Suits my needs and I have had no trouble with it in the three years I've had it. I bought it and an extra collar from Lion Country Supply after talking to one of the folks there and hearing his recommendation.

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for all the advice, great help.

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Hope this isn't considered sniping your post.... Does anyone make a e-collar where you can tone, vibrate, or e-stimulate the collar from the remote? Reason I ask is I read a lot now about using vibration for training and I think this is a good route. But, my last dog I trained to recall (here) on a tone. This was an awesome command as I often hunt in real windy conditions or near loud turbulent creeks. The tone recall worked out great in these scenarios.

Janitor_308

Post by Janitor_308 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 am

rlrobinhood wrote:Hope this isn't considered sniping your post.... Does anyone make a e-collar where you can tone, vibrate, or e-stimulate the collar from the remote? Reason I ask is I read a lot now about using vibration for training and I think this is a good route. But, my last dog I trained to recall (here) on a tone. This was an awesome command as I often hunt in real windy conditions or near loud turbulent creeks. The tone recall worked out great in these scenarios.
Totally new to the e collar scene, and I'm sure (hopeful) you'll get a lot more input from folks that have actually used these things.

But fwiw - I've been shopping around and both SportDOG & Garmin produce e collars that do tone/vibrate/stimulation.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I like a no frills turn the dial get to the level you need as fast sa possible instead of some fancy LED digital face slaw to get to the level of stimulation if you need to change it take your attention off the dog for way to long fangled collar.
Tri Tronics has been the best collar for me over the years it has lasted the test of time out lasting other collars that were cheaper..I ended up spending far more on those other collars in the long run then what I paid for my Pro 100.

I have the garmin delta..worthless for training. At least for how I like to train.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 pm

If you are serious about training, get the T-T Pro 100 2 collar unit.

If you are a causal trainer, buy the cheapest one on sale. LCS has some great deals.

Janitor_308

Post by Janitor_308 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Neil wrote:If you are serious about training, get the T-T Pro 100 2 collar unit.

If you are a causal trainer, buy the cheapest one on sale. LCS has some great deals.
Hmmm.

Again, a n00b here so who am I to question? But I will anyway.

- Why is the T-T Pro 100 2 collar unit the only one to get if you're serious about training?
- Why 2 collars? What if you only have one dog? If you have three?
- Are there any collars that fall in between a T-T Pro 100 2 collar unit and the cheapest one on sale in terms of quality & utility?

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:25 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I like a no frills turn the dial get to the level you need as fast sa possible instead of some fancy LED digital face slaw to get to the level of stimulation if you need to change it take your attention off the dog for way to long fangled collar.
Tri Tronics has been the best collar for me over the years it has lasted the test of time out lasting other collars that were cheaper..I ended up spending far more on those other collars in the long run then what I paid for my Pro 100.

I have the garmin delta..worthless for training. At least for how I like to train.

I plan to get the TT Pro 100, I feel that will fit my needs the best.. Thanks

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Neil wrote:If you are serious about training, get the T-T Pro 100 2 collar unit.

Thanks, plan to get the TT pro 100

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Collar Clinic says Dogtra is the best and I sure like mine. They repair all brands and that was their advice. I had a DT that I like really well also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Collar Clinic says Dogtra is the best and I sure like mine. They repair all brands and that was their advice. I had a DT that I like really well also.

Ezzy
I'll check DT out also before I make any decision.. The cost of them (good e-collar) is not something I'm rushing into. Thanks for the advice

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Brittany birddog wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Collar Clinic says Dogtra is the best and I sure like mine. They repair all brands and that was their advice. I had a DT that I like really well also.

Ezzy
I'll check DT out also before I make any decision.. The cost of them (good e-collar) is not something I'm rushing into. Thanks for the advice
I have heard good things about Dogtra but have never had one. However, I had DT's for awhile and after having to replace two of them [under warranty] and after the third one went bad, I switched brands. That doesn't necessarily mean they are no good...it is just my personal experience with them. Problems with Sportdog brand too. Finally got the TTpro100 several years ago...love it and have never had a single problem. Very user friendly too.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 pm

birddogger wrote:
Brittany birddog wrote:

Ezzy
I have heard good things about Dogtra but have never had one. However, I had DT's for awhile and after having to replace two of them [under warranty] and after the third one went bad, I switched brands. That doesn't necessarily mean they are no good...it is just my personal experience with them. Problems with Sportdog brand too. Finally got the TTpro100 several years ago...love it and have never had a single problem. Very user friendly too.

Charlie
Yes, I seen so many positives on this forum for the TT Pro 100. Seems like that the e-collar I should go with and will get the best for my money. I've looked at the Dogstra and Dt, but just seems overwhelming for the TT Pro 100. With so many good reviews for the Pro 100, I'm settling with that one. Now just need to get the money for it.. Lol

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:28 am

The reason the TT Pro is so highly recommended is that it combines the best build quality with excellent capabilities. The stimulation can be set at a very low level yet have two higher levels instantly available without turning knobs. Only the DT Systems SPT 2400 series has more capabilities as far as I know. I prefer the DT 2400 series for yard training because I can get it low enough for that yet have a jump setting button as well. The TT Pro is similar but the setting of each button is a fixed level difference. That is: in order to raise the high button to a higher setting you also move the low button to a higher setting. The downside of the DT Systems 2400 series is that the build quality isn't as good as a TT Pro, but it is also $70 cheaper than a TT Pro. So I have both.

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:56 am

roaniecowpony wrote:The reason the TT Pro is so highly recommended is that it combines the best build quality with excellent capabilities. The stimulation can be set at a very low level yet have two higher levels instantly available without turning knobs. Only the DT Systems SPT 2400 series has more capabilities as far as I know. I prefer the DT 2400 series for yard training because I can get it low enough for that yet have a jump setting button as well. The TT Pro is similar but the setting of each button is a fixed level difference. That is: in order to raise the high button to a higher setting you also move the low button to a higher setting. The downside of the DT Systems 2400 series is that the build quality isn't as good as a TT Pro, but it is also $70 cheaper than a TT Pro. So I have both.
Thanks, well explained. I appreciate your time in sharing that info. Going to stick with the TT Pro 100. Thanks again

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 am

We own both TT pro 100 and Dogtras. one is as good as the other. launchers , Dogtra hands down.

Brittany birddog

What e-collar to get?

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:28 am

Ms. Cage wrote:We own both TT pro 100 and Dogtras. one is as good as the other. launchers , Dogtra hands down.
Good to know about the launchers. Thank you

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:14 am

Ms. Cage wrote: .... launchers , Dogtra hands down.
Msg. Cage, which brands of launchers have you had experience with? I have DT SYSTEMS launchers and the electronics had to be sent back after very little use but a couple years in the garage (boxed and in cabinets and well taken care of). The metal/mechanical part of the launchers are very well made. But Im not going to be happy if the electronics fail again. And the Dogtra company is less than a mile from my house in Torrance.