Teaching sit and lay in 10 minutes?

arutch

Teaching sit and lay in 10 minutes?

Post by arutch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Howdy everyone just a quick question, is it normal to be able to teach a pup not one but both of my litter mates to sit and lay in less then ten minutes I mean I say sit and they sit with out me having to touch them and I say lay and put my fist on the ground and they lay is that normal?

EvanG

Re: Teaching sit and lay in 10 minutes?

Post by EvanG » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:30 pm

arutch wrote:Howdy everyone just a quick question, is it normal to be able to teach a pup not one but both of my litter mates to sit and lay in less then ten minutes I mean I say sit and they sit with out me having to touch them and I say lay and put my fist on the ground and they lay is that normal?
"Teach" it? Yes, they're Labs. They learn fast. "Train" it? That takes time. Keep it up!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 pm

arutch wrote:Howdy everyone just a quick question, is it normal to be able to teach a pup not one but both of my litter mates to sit and lay in less then ten minutes I mean I say sit and they sit with out me having to touch them and I say lay and put my fist on the ground and they lay is that normal?
I'd say they are slow learners if it takes 10 minutes!!! :lol:
You can say bananas and put your fist on the floor with a sausage in it!!...A pack of dogs will do what you want if they know the sausage is their!! :mrgreen: ..some may try to take your hand off though?..have fun ! :P

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Congratulations Proud Papa! My two cents would be that it is unusual for someone who's experience requires asking this particular question to be able to teach it in 10 minutes. You must have done some work on your self before you started working with your pups. That's a smart move if you have.