Vizsla Spot

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Vizsla Spot

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm

We have a Spaniel spot !..How about a Vizsla spot?
One of the Best individuals of any breed I've had in for training and a credit to Steve for the pictures.
Hope you enjoy this character as much as I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6uxPXNTcY

Steelcityred

Re: Vizsla Spot

Post by Steelcityred » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:37 pm

They are a special breed indeed. Nice work on the photography and video! Looks amazing!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am

I have felt for a long time that the Vizsla is the best kept secret in the bird dog world. I still think it's second best, Red Setter's have pushed them aside. Really nice video, great looking dog. Seem's to me, in this country anyway, they have a docked tail. That dog with the long tail looks great!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:45 am

great video!

will-kelly

Vizsla Spot

Post by will-kelly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 am

Vizsla owners don't need a spot to feel our dogs are special...we get to live it every day.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 am

Had to look again. Great photo's and great song!

Tell me about that tail. Never saw a Vizsla with a long tail, I like the look!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 pm

DonF wrote:Had to look again. Great photo's and great song!

Tell me about that tail. Never saw a Vizsla with a long tail, I like the look!
Unfortunately the government in Scotland decided that there would be a Total Ban on tail docking in April 2007
http://www.cdb.org/awa/

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

HUH! Well it looks good on that Vizsla!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 pm

I think that along with almost all other Scottish gundog owners the law on tail docking should be abolished. It causes problems for some HPR's and problems for many spaniels.

If the dog is a tail lasher the end of the tail gets badly damaged and most of our vets still refuse to remove part of the tail .... I think they like the repeat business bleeding tails gives them !

This is "Rosie" and her tail has bled at the tip a few times..... spaniels suffer far more damage, probably because they spend much more time in thick cover and because our trial judges like to see a lot of "action" in a dog and that often means a furiously wagging tail.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:10 am

Geeze Bill, that dog is beautiful! When I had pointer's they'd all come in from time to time with bloody tails. Kate would come in all the time with what looked like lash marks on both sided. Blood slapped off her tail. Dude was the same except he came in one time missing an inch or so of his tail, didn't faze him in the least. Pete came in like kate but their dad, Rex, didn't do that but always pulled his pads. My Setter's and a few other's I trained never got the bloody tail, they just don't whip their tails like the pointer's. No idea what Stormy will do? I understand the reason for docking but those Vizsla's sure do look good with the long tail. I've seen one springer and a couple GSP's over the years that weren't docked. They did not look good with long tails. If you guy's imported a dog from out of the country with a short tail, what happens then?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Rosie is a beautiful bitch but she has a fault. She does not run well on open ground such as stubble fields . The stubble fields I could hunt her over held no game so she quickly decided they were not worth hunting. She is very good in cover of any kind ....probably because she has found birds in cover ! She also is good on moorland , I was able to take her onto moorland that held a few snipe. I haven't had her on a grouse moor yet but I think that once she discovers there are grouse in the heather she will run very well. When she does run she is as fast as any GSP I have owned or seen so far. If only she would run like that all the time ! :x

I work her mainly as a picking-up dog at big driven shoots and she loves that.

Her owners hope to breed from her soon so I am looking forward to training another vizsla. The mating will necessitate at least a 600 miles round trip so I hope it is worth it.

This countries laws are often crazy. We can show dogs with full length or with docked tails in Scotland but we cannot dock puppies tails. In England pups can be legally docked but docked pups are banned from entry into most of the showrings. An imported docked dog or pup could therefor, be shown in Scotland but not in England . Maybe it could be shown in England if it had an exemption certificate ? I don't know about that, I am not a show person.
Docked or undocked dogs can be ran in trials in both Scotland and England.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !