Great weekend...but advice welcome

Kstring

Great weekend...but advice welcome

Post by Kstring » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 pm

I took my 13 month old GSP out this past weekend for his first try at hunting quail (pen raised). I have never trained a bird dog so I am getting my instructions from my father-in-law who spent years hunting and breeding pointers. So, Saturday mornin myself and the paw-in-law set out some birds and put my dog, Gus, in the field to see what he could do. He found 7 of 9 and pointed pretty decent. My paw-in-law did the shooting as I just worked the dog and flushed birds. Gus seemed a little weary of the gun and had to be pushed a little at times. The paw-in-law said he just needed more time hunting and realize gun shots meant dead bird.

The next day stArted out much the same but then that "switch" went off. Suddenly he was pointing, holding, and was steady to the gun. It seemed the the paw-in-law was right and once Gus saw a couple birds go down rite in front of him he knew the job and knew his role. The gun was no longer of any concern.

So we get to the holiday on Monday and another day of working Gus. He did amazing. Held points better than I could have imagined and had relatively zero issue with any gun fire most of the day. Occasionally he would take a step back from a shot but it didn't seem he was scared almost like he was backing out to try and find the bird in the direction of the flush. He even pointed one in open ground that he could see...held it for a good 30+ sec held on the flush saw the bird go down then retrieved to hand. I was ecstatic. Probably the best part of the day was on the last few birds when Gus pointed and my hunting partners 10 yr old Brittany honored and both were like statues in the field. To someone new to the sport it was an extraordinary weekend. Can't wait til this coming week now!

So my questions are simple. The advice my paw-in-law gave was much different than what I've read but it seemed to work wonders this past weekend...is this something I need to be concerned with in the future, his original weariness of the gun? Also, how often and how long of a hunt should I take him on when I get a chance? Right now I'm planning about an hour to two on each hunt...should I adjust that? The only thing he didn't do well on was backing the Brittany so any tips on getting that kink worked out will also be appreciated. Again, I am a novice to the sport right now And I'm not looking for a field trial champ just want a hunting companion that helps put meat in the frying pan! Any and all advice is welcome.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Great weekend...but advice welcome

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:18 pm

"Gus seemed a little weary of the gun and had to be pushed a little at times." quote

You were lucky. Could have been trouble. You have an exceptional dog , by the sound of it. I hunted with my Dad in the 50s. He knew nothing about gun conditioning. If the beagle was shy of the gun , he "disappeared". Fortunately we've learned more about gun conditioning since then. If you notice your dog hesitating again , I would back off and follow through on a gun conditioning programme. ( I have one I could send you.) I wouldn't be a part any multiple shooters at this time.

I run my dog until I see her slowing down. I end it there , rather than push her harder. Each to their own. Dog has to be "fit". You can't just run them hard once a week.

A keen dog would rather not back . It can be easily taught though . Just one more expectation of the hunter.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Kstring

Re: Great weekend...but advice welcome

Post by Kstring » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Sharon wrote:"Gus seemed a little weary of the gun and had to be pushed a little at times." quote

You were lucky. Could have been trouble. You have an exceptional dog , by the sound of it. I hunted with my Dad in the 50s. He knew nothing about gun conditioning. If the beagle was shy of the gun , he "disappeared". Fortunately we've learned more about gun conditioning since then. If you notice your dog hesitating again , I would back off and follow through on a gun conditioning programme. ( I have one I could send you.) I wouldn't be a part any multiple shooters at this time.

I run my dog until I see her slowing down. I end it there , rather than push her harder. Each to their own. Dog has to be "fit". You can't just run them hard once a week.

A keen dog would rather not back . It can be easily taught though . Just one more expectation of the hunter.

Thanks for the response...again I am extremely new at this but have enjoyed every second of training the dog, and now actually getting after birds with him. I am going to be careful about the gun fire because I don't want to ruin him. If he is weary at all this weekend I may take you up on your offer. Both of the veteran bird dog men that were around Gus this weekend kept repeating how he had a good nose and would make a fine dog, "he just needs huntin". so I don't want to mess him up in any way.