Advise for a newbie

ciulmer

Advise for a newbie

Post by ciulmer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:19 pm

So my wife got me a GSP for Christmas. I've been wanting to get a bird dog for a few years now just never committed to it. Now that I have her I can't wait to start training her. I've been doing as much research as I can and have bought a DVD to help coach me a bit but still feel like I have more questions than answers and hoped maybe a few could get answered here?

She's 8 weeks old today. When should I begin training her?

What training should I begin with?

Any special equipment I need or should get now or soon?

Any help is always appreciated and I can't wait to go on our first hunt!

marysburg

Re: Advise for a newbie

Post by marysburg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new pup. If you search for key words like, new pup, equipment, starting pup, etc., you will find many threads which answer your questions. Depending on where you live, there may be a NAVHDA chapter or gun dog club nearby with members who will be glad to help a new pup get a good start. For now, just worry about potty training and being a pup. A local puppy training class would be a good thing to investigate, but the pup may be a little young yet. More vaccinations may be required to attend a class, but it is a great way to meet other dog owners and get your pup socialized. Huntsmith DVDs and seminars are excellent if you have one close enough, or Perfect Start Perfect Finish DVDs. Good luck with your new pup.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:24 am

Where are you located?

Grant

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 am

Perfect start and Finish DVD. Find a local NAVHDA chapter.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:19 pm

x2 on the above.

Warning: the process is longer than you expect, your first "real" hunting season may not be until 2015 or 2016. The 2014 and probably 2015 are best described as training seasons you will hunt but you will have different expectations and it will keep you relaxed.

This book help get me straight early on http://www.amazon.com/Themselves-Taking ... 0963012746.

ciulmer

Post by ciulmer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm located in Des Moines Iowa. So far what you've provided is pretty much what I've gathered from a few people. I figured my first real hunt would be a few years out to. I've also seen a few posts / websites showing the dvd's you mentioned. I've also did a few searches for some of the items mentioned above on the forum and various other places. But with me being completely new to the whole process I'm not even sure where to begin or whats needed. I've looked into NAVHDA as well and planned on contacting them soon.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Different meanings for the expression "training an 8 week old".

Priorities should be house training , socialization, bonding . For the next couple months, socialization is a primary goal.

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/dog-train ... pment.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Des Moines is not far at all from Perfection Kennels in North Missouri. I would highly recommend saving up and attending a 4-day Perfect Start Clinic. You'll learn so much more than just with the DVD set alone. Great people, good food, excellent training opportunity for YOU and your dog.

For now, just concentrate on house manners, long walks in the fields, and socialization with everything - motorcycles, ATV's, city living, country living, cows, horses, other dogs (vaccinated of course), everything!

The only "real" command my dog knows at 6 months is "here," and "kennel." Well, he also knows how to go to his blanket and leave stuff alone, but my point is that you're not training so many commands now, but really wanting to get the dog to hunt independently - let him get out farther than you are comfortable with - and resist the urge to call him back - let him get his wheels under him. You'll have years ahead of you to reel him in if you need to - but it's a lot harder to get them to range out than it is to shorten their range.

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Get a pigeon coop started now, or find a good reliable source for birds. You can't train a bird dog without birds.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 am

Start now. I'm not talking formal training just take the pup any where you can expose the pup to a lot of different things . A bold confident pup will be more likely to forgive any mistakes you make in training. As far as training programs pick one you understand and stick to it a good many people will tell you a good trainer adapts to the dog and it's true but great trainer sticks with his program and adjust his program to the dog. I found training with Mo to be simple and easy to understand. With that said Mo and Jonsey will help you understand the program through PM on this site. Now before I hear anything about pushing a program or trainer that was not solicited by any of the Men mentioned in this post.