Loading in truck

Rakoprtr

Loading in truck

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:41 pm

How do u guys teach ur dogs to loa into a truck my hound won't even put his front paws up onto the tailgate I have to lift him them lift his back half it's really a pain sometimes my gsp jumps right up what can I do to get my hound to follow him

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Loading in truck

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:43 pm

My 7 month old jumps up like an athlete . I lift up my 12 year old as it is too much for her. Throw a treat in the back and see what happens. :) (Hounds do have much shorter legs than your GSP.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I have never tried to 'teach' loading in the truck. Some of my dogs will jump in with no problem, some have to be lifted in every time. I had a big long legged pointer years ago that liked to load in the truck for some reason. If i happened to be in front of the truck when I told him to load, he would go over the top of the cab to get in.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Yea got a smaller vehicle with a back that opens? Grab him by the collar, tell hinn load up and throw him in. If the height is still a bit much, start on the ground and work your way up. Doesn't take to long with bird dogs.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

We do have a stock height jeep grand Cherokee he won't get in that either I figured my truck was cuz it was so big but once I noticed he wouldn't jump n the jeep either I was starting to wonder

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:13 pm

For all that want their dogs to jump in & out of their vehicles just keep in mid that accidents happen & can be pretty costly to repair & sometimes leave lifelong injuries that never heal 100%.
IS that chance worth it? Just something to think about! :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:03 pm

That's absolutely true.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Toster

Loading in truck

Post by Toster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 pm

I had a hard time with one dog, but made some sturdy boxes. I had her up in the truck and taught her "down" using the boxes, then "load up" going up the boxes. If memory serves me I had three boxes. Got rid of the tallest, and then the middle one. Then when I took away the box closet to the ground she froze up again. I put just a 1/2 piece of wood on the ground for the "target", after a few days of that, she was good. She also froze up when my truck was running in the cold weather she did not like the exhaust "fog".

Make sure they don't try to jump up and fail. That's what happened to this dog, and so I had to "step" her though getting up again. Now she will clear a truck with the tail gate up!

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:57 pm

I use pieces of hotdogs as a treat. A couple of those and usually no problem. Just repetition over and over with treats they like until they get it.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Had a standard dachshund. If I walked towards my farm truck that thing would come running.
He would jump and hit the back bumper shoot straight up. Hook the top of the tailgate with
his front legs then shimmy up and over. He never missed.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 pm

My rescue GSP was one that needed to be taught to load.

I used food/toys and the side doors of the SUV then when he was able to do that I worked on the back door I slowly reduced the height of series of log blogs that he used as stairs eventually he decided he could get to the food faster by jumping directly in than climbing up the log blocks. It helps to have the other dog in the vehicle eating the treats.

It only took about 4 weeks.

Grant

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:04 am

Once they figure out the Taxi takes them to the game.It's hard not to get them in the truck :D
[img]
dogs%20in%20car.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by polmaise on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:29 am

I would just start taking him out in it more. Once he figures out that it means fun things you won't be able to keep him out. My dog loves the car, its the only place he'll actually lay down and not be bouncing off the walls. He'd live in there if you let him lol. He's not picky either, you open the door to any vehicle and say "car!" and he's in like a bullet. Just gotta create a positive association with it - obviously your GSP gets it. Maybe take the hound out on his own a few times and take him places he can run or play, or get him a treat/bone while you're out for a drive. Get him thinking that the truck = good things to come!

Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 am

polmaise wrote:Once they figure out the Taxi takes them to the game.It's not to get them in the truck :D
[img]
dogs%20in%20car.jpg
[/img]

Ha that's the thing he loves car rides and going places once I start my truck to let it warm up there both sitting at the door givin me the can we go plz look but one runs out and jumps the other runs out and stands at the tailgate and looks at me I'm gonna get some hotdogs and sturdy steps and start there thx for the advice guys

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:10 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:For all that want their dogs to jump in & out of their vehicles just keep in mid that accidents happen & can be pretty costly to repair & sometimes leave lifelong injuries that never heal 100%.
IS that chance worth it? Just something to think about! :)
I used to let a dog ride in back of the truck. Had a chain stretched tight across the bed right behind the cab. In the center of it a dropper chain short enough the dog could not get to either side. Dog's riding loose back there are on a crash course to disaster.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am

Same here I have a tie down with a special tie down that is designed to stretch on impact to reduce back injuries I have it from tying onto helos when I was in the army

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 am

I always teach my dogs to load, but I do my best to make sure they never jump out, I always attempt to grab them and set them down. I do not worry about jumping up nearly as much as down. However I have seen dogs get feet caught in the gap between the the tailgate and truck bed while jumping into the bed of a truck, so there are concerns there as well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:09 pm

polmaise wrote:Once they figure out the Taxi takes them to the game.It's hard not to get them in the truck :D
[img]
dogs%20in%20car.jpg
[/img]

That's a great picture and so true. :)

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 am

It took my lab over a year before he would jump in the back of the truck, he'd just put his front paws on and then I'd lift him. I tried putting his food in the bed of the truck, throwing a bumper up there during a retrieving session, coaxing him anyway I could, and none of it worked. Then one day I was randomly backed up to a slope and he jumped right in, it gave him enough confidence that he will jump in every single time now for the past year. It's almost annoying- he knows I leave with the truck, so if the tailgate is down and I'm doing yard work, packing something up, etc., he makes sure to jump in the bed so I don't leave him. He will spend hours sitting in the bed staring at me in the yard and I have to drag him out of the back. I don't drop the tailgate unless he is going with now!

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 am

I lift them both ways I don't want them jumping in or out....its a sure fire way to an injury sooner or later
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 am

Same here Bobman,not worth it.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 pm

If the dog is crate trained to kennel on command.
Take the crate out of the truck put it on the ground and kennel him up a few times with a lead on.
Then put the crate back in the truck while he is watching. Put your hand on the crate and tell him kennel. If he avoids it. Walk him away on lead a couple feet and back towards the crate giving him a little running start command kennel.
He should kennel this time. Praise. And repeat two more times.

If he avoids the second attempt go back to the ground and start over. Most get it on the first go around.

Just my .02

Ps. I agree about letting them jump down. Good way to break a leg.

rollick

Post by rollick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Actually, that's pretty typical for a hound. Some of them tend to be a tad peculiar when it comes to "footing" and where their feet are going to land, which includes jumping up into cars/trucks. Hounds are whimsical creatures.