Whistle training

zink2013

Whistle training

Post by zink2013 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 am

I was just wondering how everyone went about getting there lab to sit on one whistle blow i can off leash and on leash sit him to the whistle when he is around me like on my side or out in front of me but if he is further out when i blow once he comes back to me then sits. i was just wondering if there are any tips or tricks to accomplishing him to sit when the whistle is blown when he is farther out. i have done all the walking hit the whistle he sit then i can go walking past him i can throw a bird infront of him and he wont move but he is just having a hard time sitting when he is farther out he was doing it for a while but seems like its come to an end he just comes running back instead of sitting and looking for my signal. the whistle command for come is 2 pause 2 pause 2 pause if that matters.

Thanks for all your help

crackerd

Re: Whistle training

Post by crackerd » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 pm

What you're asking about is called the "remote sit," and it's an advanced training concept for retrievers (and all gundogs) - suggest you follow a retrieving program such as what Mr. Evan Graham offers so your training isn't haphazard and your dog will actually learn in a sequential fashion instead of by trial and error.

MG

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Glad to help. MG's right, and knows his dog work. This is not a one-step easy skill. It's certainly a skill set you can train into your dog yourself, but you need the know how. If you would like to contact me via email I can lay out the materials you'll need, along with the coursework. rushcreekpress@aol.eom

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

zink2013

Post by zink2013 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:51 pm

okay so once i get done with his force fetching i can start on some of those drills looks like to even help with assuring him to hold i appreciate it.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes, but take your time. Get going on a proven program ASAP. That cannot be over emphasized.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 am

just work on distance with it man. There is a certain point at which once you cross that distance thresh hold the dog goes from knowing what to do to being completely lost. I just worked with my dog and over the span of a week she went from doing it at only 3 ft to 50 ft. and as the weeks went by she could be 100+ yards away and she would sit immediately. Just put in the time and it will come, find your dogs "training bubble" distance and just work to increase it, even if it' literally one step at a time. This should go with anything from distance. If the dog messes up back track a little and come a little closer. Good luck man, I really don't think you need a whole system of training, I really think its as simple as that

Rick S

Post by Rick S » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:03 am

808allday wrote:just work on distance with it man. There is a certain point at which once you cross that distance thresh hold the dog goes from knowing what to do to being completely lost. I just worked with my dog and over the span of a week she went from doing it at only 3 ft to 50 ft. and as the weeks went by she could be 100+ yards away and she would sit immediately. Just put in the time and it will come, find your dogs "training bubble" distance and just work to increase it, even if it' literally one step at a time. This should go with anything from distance. If the dog messes up back track a little and come a little closer. Good luck man, I really don't think you need a whole system of training, I really think its as simple as that
Practice, repitition is the key! Start close and gradually increase distance.