Dropping birds at my feet

mrcreole

Dropping birds at my feet

Post by mrcreole » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Need some help and/or opinions. I've got a dog that drops birds at my feet on the retrieve. She does it fetching bumpers too. Any ideas on how to correct it or am I going to have to force fetch her? Her body language suggests she is being submissive by dropping it at my feet. Whatcha think?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Dropping birds at my feet

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm

It's faster to force the dog, but if you don't want to do that, just work her on hold.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Force Fetch.
Has nothing to do with being submissive.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Agree with both of the answers you have got so far.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:29 am

two things I'd try first. #1 when she drops it at your feet, don't pick it up, kick it away and send her right away. Keep doing it till she holds it there for you. #2 when she is about to you, back up a couple steps and go down on one knee with the last step and have your hand where the bird will fall into it. She should get it pretty quick either way. Come to think there is another way but might be the wrong time of year. In the warm months, let her retrieve in the water. You get in there with her up to about your knees or where she can stand but the back is out of the water. If she spits it on you, go a bit deeper. I think that works because she will have nowhere to spit it. Backing up on her, she's almost back and you back up a couple steps and go down just as she get's there, so she holds it just a bit longer and it's in your hand rather than on the ground. Kicking it away rather than picking it up doesn't let her finish until it's in your hand and she can't go get another until you get the one on the ground. Of course you could force her but that's gonna take longer.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Most dogs that have a desire to pick up game can learn "hold" in a matter of days.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:51 pm

mrcreole wrote:Need some help and/or opinions. I've got a dog that drops birds at my feet on the retrieve. She does it fetching bumpers too. Any ideas on how to correct it or am I going to have to force fetch her? Her body language suggests she is being submissive by dropping it at my feet. Whatcha think?
If that's what the dog has learned while you were ''shaping'' the behaviour with bumpers for when she was asked to do it with birds then I'm not surprised .

I imagine she is fine going out and picking up the bumper/bird and holding on to it while she returns?....So why not 'skip' them parts of the retrieve that she 'Can do' !? and just do the part that she 'Can't'?..
Have the dog sitting in front and facing you a foot away, drop the bumper between you and the dog and say 'fetch' (or whatever command you use to get the thing) , as soon as she gets it in her gob, say 'sit'!!..take the bumper/bird and say ''Good girl'' ! (or whatever you use for praise) ..Hey presto , delivery to hand that can be built upon at increasing distance . :wink:

Mind you!!!! I've one here for training that is far more complex ,so think yourself lucky that you have the dog doing most of the ''steps for a retrieve'' :roll:

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 pm

we used treats to teach hold and it worked great we did it for about weeks slowly substituting treats with praise.also did the backing away in the beginning it works also. the alternative is ff.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Dogs will do what they are taught to do or allowed to do.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks guys. Got her going the right direction. I've usually had them not wanting to give up the dummy or bird. Just had to break it down and start back to teaching hold seperately from the retrieval.