Grouse

ruffbritt4

Grouse

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 pm

When we had my dog out on grouse a few weeks ago he went on point, then my dad and I walked in and we heard the bird flush, but we were 15 or so yards behind the dog. The dog never knew the bird flew. How does the dog learn that the bird goes when he moves? We followed up on that bird and my dog bumped it while tracking, but once again never knew it flew.
Thanks

will-kelly

Re: Grouse

Post by will-kelly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm

The bird will teach the dog.

What makes you think the dog doesn't know the bird is gone? Was the dog wearing a bell?

The dog is relying on it's senses. The first of which is his nose. The fresh scent is still there and the dogs instincts are teaching him to look for birds here because there is scent.

I would rather have a dog that stands scent when the bird is gone than one that closes in to closely and continues to bust the birds. The dog did it's job. He found the bird and pointed. The bird may have been running and when you got to close it flushed.

Just keep hunting the dog over wild grouse. Dogs are always learning. The dog will continue to get stronger and you will hopefully get a better understanding of how to handle the different points your dog makes. Grouse hunting with the best bird dog still isn't easy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:When we had my dog out on grouse a few weeks ago he went on point, then my dad and I walked in and we heard the bird flush, but we were 15 or so yards behind the dog. The dog never knew the bird flew. How does the dog learn that the bird goes when he moves? We followed up on that bird and my dog bumped it while tracking, but once again never knew it flew.
Thanks
Experience and more experience on wild birds or a launcher and pen raised birds. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm

will-kelly wrote:The bird will teach the dog.

What makes you think the dog doesn't know the bird is gone? Was the dog wearing a bell?

The dog is relying on it's senses. The first of which is his nose. The fresh scent is still there and the dogs instincts are teaching him to look for birds here because there is scent.

I would rather have a dog that stands scent when the bird is gone than one that closes in to closely and continues to bust the birds. The dog did it's job. He found the bird and pointed. The bird may have been running and when you got to close it flushed.

Just keep hunting the dog over wild grouse. Dogs are always learning. The dog will continue to get stronger and you will hopefully get a better understanding of how to handle the different points your dog makes. Grouse hunting with the best bird dog still isn't easy.
It was his first time on grouse. He did not have a bell on. He does know that gunshot means bird so should i shoot the cap pistol when the bird flies?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 am

What your pup did is good work for the most part.
He held point, he followed up on the track.. He bumped the bird simply because he has not the experience to know how hard to push or not push. You have a good prospect. Keep hunting.

Oh, this may not be the most popular idea but is what I do for a young bird. I shoot wild flushes, I will shoot a ground bird if the dog pointed and I can see it. THe dog needs that bird in its mouth and needs to see it. At least that is my thought and has worked pretty well for me.

I also would not be so sure that your dog did not know the bird flushed at least the one that was pointed.

If you see road birds, take and hook your dog to a check cord, you walk the dog up to the side of the road where the bird went in, let him get a snoot full, have your buddy with gun in hand, let the dog pull you down the track. When you see the pup point and if you see the bird, dust it. let the pup got get it.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 am

ruffbritt4 wrote: How does the dog learn that the bird goes when he moves?
Thanks
1. Training
2. Experience

rbsmith

Post by rbsmith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm

My dog did the same thing last year ,pointed a grouse , I flushed the bird , shot and missed. My GSP acted like she never knew the bide had flushed. She stayed on point and as I continued in front of her another grouse flushed. Just goes to show most well breed bird dogs are pretty s
mart!!

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:What your pup did is good work for the most part.
He held point, he followed up on the track.. He bumped the bird simply because he has not the experience to know how hard to push or not push. You have a good prospect. Keep hunting.

Oh, this may not be the most popular idea but is what I do for a young bird. I shoot wild flushes, I will shoot a ground bird if the dog pointed and I can see it. THe dog needs that bird in its mouth and needs to see it. At least that is my thought and has worked pretty well for me.

I also would not be so sure that your dog did not know the bird flushed at least the one that was pointed.

If you see road birds, take and hook your dog to a check cord, you walk the dog up to the side of the road where the bird went in, let him get a snoot full, have your buddy with gun in hand, let the dog pull you down the track. When you see the pup point and if you see the bird, dust it. let the pup got get it.
Thanks I guess what i was thinking was that it was his first grouse. My dad and his friend are going for grouse but they cant take the dog, so if they get one should i have them bring a wing home to show the dog?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm

A little off topic but a fascinating thread/pictures on what grouse eat/ helps to find them

http://www.oodmag.com/community/showthr ... use-s-crop
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:48 am

I do not think you should use the wing for pointing and bird work. But you can use It for retrieving work. Wrap it on his favorite bumper etc.

Keep taking him out if you can.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:I do not think you should use the wing for pointing and bird work. But you can use It for retrieving work. Wrap it on his favorite bumper etc.

Keep taking him out if you can.
Ruffshooter,

I meant to show him and do some retrieving. Thank you for the help