chewer

cole.nelson782

chewer

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I have a gap mix that's 3 that at night is chewing up clothes and shoes he is also exstremly jealous is there any way to break these habits. He's about to be giving up for adoubtion. My 4yr lab doesn't chew on anything.

RichK

Re: chewer

Post by RichK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 pm

If he is chewing objects at night, why are you letting him roam free? Sleeping in his kennel solves that problem.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:42 am

RichK wrote:If he is chewing objects at night, why are you letting him roam free? Sleeping in his kennel solves that problem.
In one simple sentence, you have the answer.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 am

Jealous? Mixed with what?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:27 pm

He's only chews on the wife's stuff and he always tries to squeeze his head in between me and her if we sit next to each other on the couch.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

cole.nelson782 wrote:He's only chews on the wife's stuff and he always tries to squeeze his head in between me and her if we sit next to each other on the couch.

I think your dog is trying to run off with your wife. Keep your eye on him.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Crate the dog, but I would give him something with her scent on it at first. Pick up the stuff he chews. You don't want to risk a perforated intestine. Have HER train him on simple behaviors like a down-stay and don't let him be pushy. If he is strong willed and fairly smart, look into NILIF.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 pm

RichK wrote:If he is chewing objects at night, why are you letting him roam free? Sleeping in his kennel solves that problem.
And will save you a couple thousand dollars in vet bills if you don't let him get an obstruction from chewing up underwear or anything else. Crates are great for dogs - I wouldn't dream of letting a young pup unsupervised at night - ditto with an older "new to me" dog. Until they prove they're reliable - it's crate all the way if I'm not watching them.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 pm

The thing is is the chewing thing is new. He did it when he was a pup hit about a year then stopped. He does not do it when we are out of the house only when we are home. They both stay in the house when we are not home we have been having people pets come up missing over the last six months. But I will be looking into a create for both dogs.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Dogs are weird. I have one that will thief shirts and bite the buttons off them, but not unless we are home. ?!?

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I use a wire cage muzzle.I put on the dog every time I catch him chewing and leave it on for about an hour!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 am

3 years old and just started chewing?? That's a bit unusual. Have you looked at his teeth? It's possible he could have some gum disease started and is looking for relief.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 am

Chewing and acting up in an adult dog is usually a result of not enough exercise, nervous energy needs to be channeled in a positive way

I'd try and let the dog have a good run in the evening and see if he improves.

It needs to be a long enough run to actually tire him
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I too agree with Bobman... I would give the dog something to chew on, HIS CHEW TOYS. Stuffed black Kong toy, XL size Nylabones. White sterilized marrow bones sold on line and open stock in many pet stores. If he has his toys he won't chew yours. Also you do have to put your stuff out of reach of the dogs. I have been preaching this for 30 + years to pet dog owners.