A misunderstanding maybe ?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: A misunderstanding maybe ?

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 am

Winchey wrote:
When I hunt logging roads I like to send them out to one side of the road and to work the whole side, I don't want them on the edge of the road, don't need a dog for those birds and I don't want them crossing the road, I will send him on the other side on the way back instead of hitting the same ground twice.
You have taught your dogs to hunt in the manor you like and it works for you, especially if you have a one sided dog, which many are. I never, or rarely hunt back and forth on the same road. I tend to sweep up the road, letting the dog hunt 80-100 yards to each side, then move into the heavy cover and sweep that back to the truck.

So when I say a dog is quartering the road, what they are doing is going to the right side, hunting that, then quartering to the left side and hunting that. This may go to the definition of quartering. To me, a dog is still quartering if he hunts to the right, hunts an area to the right, then hunts to the left and hunts an area to the left. He does not have to windshield wiper a line to be considered to be quartering.

A few years back Winchey, I had a setter like that. He would rarely hunt to the right, always favoring his left. With that dog I hunted roads the way you do.

I have found that if you observe them carefully, most dogs are stronger on one side than the other, same as people are right or left handed.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:01 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Neil wrote:
If someone will please explain why foxes and coyotes do not quarter, I will let this go before tempers flare.
Actually they do. I still trap for t hem. What you find is that they walk a straight line to and from an objective then if they are hunting, they cover the whole piece of cover. You'll see it in a cedar swamp all of the time, they'll take a direct line to that swamp, then hunt in a sort of quartering pattern, inspecting a downed tree here, a pile of brush there.

Same when they're mousing Ina field; they kind of meander searching for scent. They hunt a cattail marsh in the same manor.

As trappers, we take advantage more of the routes they travel to these areas rather than the area. At least I do. Let's me set less traps and patrol more country.
So actually they don't. They take a straight line through known unproductive areas and then investigate the likely places to hold prey. That is not quartering at all, that is hunting objectives.
Just as you and I do when trapping - we skip all the random areas all over everywhere and concentrate our efforts on those places most likely to yield results. But I am sure that if you placed traps in a uniform pattern across an entire field you would catch some animals.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

You just said the exact same thing I did.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am

Except you are calling it quartering, which it isn't. It is lining to and hunting objectives - like good bird dogs do.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:28 am

slistoe wrote:Except you are calling it quartering, which it isn't. It is lining to and hunting objectives - like good bird dogs do.
Read it one more time. I'm saying exactly the same thing you are, unless you're nitpickikng "sort of quartering pattern".

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 am

This is getting ridiculous. :roll:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:38 am

Ruffshooter wrote:This is getting ridiculous. :roll:
Yes, it is.

It is hard to have a discussion when others make up their own definitions. Quartering is to move side to side in a uniform pattern.

Foxes do not quarter, they go from objective to objective, but not always into the objective, they skirt it, using their nose, they don't often bust cover. They conserve energy, as do good dogs.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 am

Neil wrote:
Yes, it is.

It is hard to have a discussion when others make up their own definitions. Quartering is to move side to side in a uniform pattern.

Foxes do not quarter, they go from objective to objective, but not always into the objective, they skirt it, using their nose, they don't often bust cover. They conserve energy, as do good dogs.
It seems like your definition of a discussion is everybody needs to agree with you. You already lost the high ground on this one with your earlier statements.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 am

41magsnub wrote:
Neil wrote:
Yes, it is.

It seems like your definition of a discussion is everybody needs to agree with you. You already lost the high ground on this one with your earlier statements.
And that statement was?

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:59 am

To argue otherwise is to admit inexperience or just be argumentative.
Whether you mean it or not, you are the one making this thread argumentative and ridiculous. I'm not saying you are right or wrong about quartering, what I am saying is your tone has blown any chance of it being a productive discussion and you would be doing everybody a favor by backing out gracefully.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am

41magsnub wrote:
Neil wrote:
Yes, it is.

:D Quartering is a pretty well defined term. Gonehuntin trying to redefine a traditional term to suit his own silliness has nothing to do with Neil -

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 am

41magsnub wrote:
Whether you mean it or not, you are the one making this thread argumentative and ridiculous. I'm not saying you are right or wrong about quartering, what I am saying is your tone has blown any chance of it being a productive discussion and you would be doing everybody a favor by backing out gracefully.
Sorry, goneh made it ridiculous when he tried to redefine a common term. Neil calling him on such stupidity was a favor to everyone else reading the thread.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

41magsnub wrote:
Please quote those statements, and I will back out with sincere apologies.

Neil