The Spaniel Spot

CDN_Cocker

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Havent got that mount yet lol
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:21 am

polmaise wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Just made my first attempt at making a video with my new Go Pro. Nothing fancy, just Jake doing a single mark. The "snow" is glare ice, we had a huge ice storm for 3 days. I'm never gonna figure this camera out! Here's the vid: http://youtu.be/YFIzMFm5y7o
Ok Cass!! for the purpose of authenticity and I kinda have a soft spot for 'yer wee dug' !
I'm honestly not being argumentative !! Your first go pro clip is not a single mark! ..it's a hand thrown dummy from the line!..that ain't a mark!! (for a retrieving point),that's just the dog being told when to go ! (see! ,you will get them uppitty fussed up coon's come in) Did Krackadawn teach you this in 'puppy'?..I'm sure he did!...but not for this wee dog ''just for the camera''!! ..I was looking for the go pro on the dog?...for a single mark!...and all that 'focus' on the mark!!!....from the sky :)
Did you think for a minute I would say it was good?....Merry Christmas :mrgreen: :wink:
Tough Crowd!

Marks smarks quarks big deal! It is first dog and his 1st POV camera I'm sure after that greeting Cass will only put AA type work out of his dog, not sure if it will be All-Age spaniel work or All- Age Non- slip. :lol: :wink: :wink: Happy New Year!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 am

Some come here to share knowledge, some come here to prove it.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:13 am

gundogguy wrote: Tough Crowd!

Marks smarks quarks big deal! It is first dog and his 1st POV camera I'm sure after that greeting Cass will only put AA type work out of his dog, not sure if it will be All-Age spaniel work or All- Age Non- slip. :lol: :wink: :wink: Happy New Year!
LOL I can take it, I have thick skin. I wasn't trying to show off any stellar training/working, just a low tech man tryin to figure out a hi tech camera lmao. In the future I am sure I will plan some of my videos to show off certain things. HOWEVER, what I am most excited for with the go pro is just the opposite... to hopefully be able to show off faults or imperfections in my training and post them up for critique so I can improve and grow as a trainer. After all, anyone has the discretion to only post videos of things going right (even I could figure that out lol). I also realize there are many internet pros on here so my feathers aren't easily ruffled. Can't wait to post more videos!
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:31 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
gundogguy wrote: Tough Crowd!

LOL I can take it, I have thick skin. I wasn't trying to show off any stellar training/working, just a low tech man tryin to figure out a hi tech camera lmao. In the future I am sure I will plan some of my videos to show off certain things. HOWEVER, what I am most excited for with the go pro is just the opposite... to hopefully be able to show off faults or imperfections in my training and post them up for critique so I can improve and grow as a trainer. After all, anyone has the discretion to only post videos of things going right (even I could figure that out lol). I also realize there are many internet pros on here so my feathers aren't easily ruffled. Can't wait to post more videos!
We kinda know where we are at!..It's only those that don't share the same between two individual posters that it get's all mixed up!..kinda like they think it's personal to everyone?.. :roll:
When folks post on a UK forum offering advice they get the same slack as here :wink:
One things for sure!....Ya better back it up :P
Happy new year !!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Played around with this darn camera again. Took a couple videos but only one that even remotely turned out okay. Here's Jake doing a mark (yes, a real mark polmaise) thrown by my 6 year old daughter. Here it is: http://youtu.be/yL15dpqmqsM very hard to see her and the dummy being thrown but you get the idea, lol. Notice how the dog (and myself) are on top of the snow and do not sink in it. He was slipping all over the place hahaha.
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 am

Cass,

Thanks for sharing the video. I would call any retrieve that is tossed for the dog to see it and then retrieve it, a 'marked' retrieve. I am kind of simple minded.

Have fun on that ice and be careful yourself. A quick move and you can be out of training for a while.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:54 am

SpringerDude wrote:

Tim
I believe you saw Nancy run a little hunt dead drill with Zeta on Face book.
Here is some of the foundation training that Zeta is getting, in the area of handling, the basics for hunt deads and blinds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6XuLdyPjk

Contacted Bramwells ordered the Book, thanks again

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:54 am

gundogguy wrote:
SpringerDude wrote:

Tim
Here is some of the foundation training that Zeta is getting, in the area of handling, the basics for hunt deads and blinds

Thanks for sharing the video, Hal. That is nice. Isn't it interesting that dog trainers now have to be somewhat fluent in video production? ha ha However, technology is great and it is fun to watch and share different drills and training techniques. How old is Zeta in this video? What is her breeding?

Sharing Drills:
John Isaacs had a drill that was pretty cool to watch a dog run. He would move up the course and when his dog would flush a bird and the bird was shot, he would not send the dog to retrieve the bird. He would call the dog in and then start up the field again. Second and third bird, same thing. Then heel the dog back to the beginning of the course, then turn facing the course and send the dog to retrieve the birds. The dog learns to mark the fall area and remember the retrieves even after being relocated from the original site and view of the mark. Very interesting. Talbot Radcliffe watched this once and called it just a "Parlor trick". ha But I heard that Talbot started trying it.

I have trained with some trialers that do something similar but not exactly. When the dog comes in with the first retrieved bird, they toss the bird behind them and tell the dog to leave it. Then move up the course to the next bird. When they get to the end of the course, they turn the dog around and give it a line to the bird that was tossed behind the handler. This is a fun drill as well and helps teach a dog to take a line with confidence past prior plants and fall areas. If other dogs have previously run on the course, then the dog is running through a lot of scent distraction to get to the bird that was tossed. Fun to watch a dog figure out.

I like to set up fun stuff and let the dog entertain me. When things don't go right, I break down the drill into parts and teach the steps that I want the dog to learn, then when it comes together it is really cool.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 am

SpringerDude wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
SpringerDude wrote:

Tim

Thanks for sharing the video, Hal. That is nice. Isn't it interesting that dog trainers now have to be somewhat fluent in video production? ha ha However, technology is great and it is fun to watch and share different drills and training techniques. How old is Zeta in this video? What is her breeding?

Sharing Drills:
John Isaacs had a drill that was pretty cool to watch a dog run. He would move up the course and when his dog would flush a bird and the bird was shot, he would not send the dog to retrieve the bird. He would call the dog in and then start up the field again. Second and third bird, same thing. Then heel the dog back to the beginning of the course, then turn facing the course and send the dog to retrieve the birds. The dog learns to mark the fall area and remember the retrieves even after being relocated from the original site and view of the mark. Very interesting. Talbot Radcliffe watched this once and called it just a "Parlor trick". ha But I heard that Talbot started trying it.

I have trained with some trialers that do something similar but not exactly. When the dog comes in with the first retrieved bird, they toss the bird behind them and tell the dog to leave it. Then move up the course to the next bird. When they get to the end of the course, they turn the dog around and give it a line to the bird that was tossed behind the handler. This is a fun drill as well and helps teach a dog to take a line with confidence past prior plants and fall areas. If other dogs have previously run on the course, then the dog is running through a lot of scent distraction to get to the bird that was tossed. Fun to watch a dog figure out.

I like to set up fun stuff and let the dog entertain me. When things don't go right, I break down the drill into parts and teach the steps that I want the dog to learn, then when it comes together it is really cool.
Once you have a steady to W&S dog the sky's the limit as to how many complications you can add to a dogs training life. From simple diversion birds to complicated multiples off of one flush. Changing the routine is always a good thing for the talented dog. Tough conditions for training 01 01 14 (14degrees, snowing windy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9NG9T0qoLM

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:41 am

SpringerDude wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
SpringerDude wrote:

How old is Zeta in this video? What is her breeding?

Talbot Radcliffe watched this once and called it just a "Parlor trick". ha But I heard that Talbot started trying it.

Zeta is out of 2012 NFC CLiff X Buccleugh Thistle. She is 17 months.

Talbot Radcliff awaiting more birds for the bag, I think this was about 1993
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 am

Jim K ever look young! I wonder if he has this photo?
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Great article on cockers, grouse and woodcock! Read it here: http://www.englishcockerhalloffame.com/ ... r-spaniels
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 am

Well today marks my boy's birthday! He is officially a year old! Crazy how the time flies. My first year with a trial bred english cocker was both exciting and frustrating at times hahaha. He seems to be maturing a bit now though so life has been much easier the last month or 2. He certainly is much bigger than the round little black pup I picked up from the Karlovec's last March.

Cass

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 am

Congratulations Cass. They grow fast. I joined this forum last March (right around the time you picked him up) looking for help on my upcoming spaniel. I've enjoyed watching Jake's progress and how he's grown. You must be very proud of how he is coming along.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 am

More with his "big" sister

Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 am

FirearmFan wrote:Congratulations Cass. They grow fast. I joined this forum last March (right around the time you picked him up) looking for help on my upcoming spaniel. I've enjoyed watching Jake's progress and how he's grown. You must be very proud of how he is coming along.
It's been a heck of a ride and we still have a ways to go. He was absolutely heck to live with (other than when hunting or training) for awhile but once he hit about 10 months he chilled out a lot (the girlfriend doesn't agree with me on that, but he's not as neurotic - just busy as a spaniel should be). This year I plan on getting some training in with others and hopefully get him into some hunt tests. Jim K thinks I should be trying out some trials in the fall but I don't think Jake or I am quite ready for that yet. Who knows though, I'm sure another 6 or 7 months will be like a life time. Jake is exceptional with obedience, retrieving and handling. My main focus going forward is patterning and birds. How old is Loki now? What are you doing so far? I'd love to hear some updates on that cute pup!
Cass

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:
FirearmFan wrote:Congratulations Cass. They grow fast. I joined this forum last March (right around the time you picked him up) looking for help on my upcoming spaniel. I've enjoyed watching Jake's progress and how he's grown. You must be very proud of how he is coming along.
It's been a heck of a ride and we still have a ways to go. He was absolutely heck to live with (other than when hunting or training) for awhile but once he hit about 10 months he chilled out a lot (the girlfriend doesn't agree with me on that, but he's not as neurotic - just busy as a spaniel should be). This year I plan on getting some training in with others and hopefully get him into some hunt tests. Jim K thinks I should be trying out some trials in the fall but I don't think Jake or I am quite ready for that yet. Who knows though, I'm sure another 6 or 7 months will be like a life time. Jake is exceptional with obedience, retrieving and handling. My main focus going forward is patterning and birds. How old is Loki now? What are you doing so far? I'd love to hear some updates on that cute pup!

Loki is 6 months old now. He has been a blast. Right now I have been focusing on getting a bit more solid on obedience and we have been working on retrieving. He has had bird intro (which he loves), a little bit of gun intro, and a bit of work on quartering. Unfortunately my training group has taken a bit of a hiatus and this cold weather hasn't been extremely conducive to outdoors training but in a month or so when the group picks back up Loki should be ready to hit the ground running. Until then I will continue to work on what I can by myself. His retrieving has improved a ton. He used to want to run away with the bumper but he had come a long way. I can't wait to see what he is capable of.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 am

An updated pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah weather has been awful here as well, -22C outside at the moment, and somewhere around -35 with the wind. I haven't done much the past month with Jake as it just hasn't been really feasible to do so. I've take him out for romps in the woods to burn off steam and he's flushed a few rabbits so that keeps him occupied. Nothing real formal though as of late.
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

He looks great!
Cass

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:He looks great!

Thanks. This was shorty after a long run in the woods through about 2 feet of snow. He was napping on my lap but I woke him up with the camera.

Frankug

The Spaniel Spot

Post by Frankug » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 pm

It seems to me the way the Europeans run there spaniels is safer. Stopping, sitting, steady post flush makes more sense to me. Having one run tighter seems better to me. Who trains this way in the states? Is there a good book on it or a good trainer to send a dog to? Have interest in training my new cocker this way. I have trained dogs, but want to get some formal training on four month old English Cocker and myself.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 am

Frankug wrote:It seems to me the way the Europeans run there spaniels is safer. Stopping, sitting, steady post flush makes more sense to me. Having one run tighter seems better to me. Who trains this way in the states? Is there a good book on it or a good trainer to send a dog to? Have interest in training my new cocker this way. I have trained dogs, but want to get some formal training on four month old English Cocker and myself.
Not sure what safety issues you have? Steady to wing and shot "post flush" is been a part of my life for some 30 yrs, currently I have 4 spaniels all of which are steady "post flush" and they will also honor the work of another dog or hunter by not running in.
Not sure of your location, Kim Wiley, Paul Mcgagh, Chris Laverier and myself could assist you in developing a a tighter running spaniel!
Those folks and myself are located across the country east to west

Frankug

The Spaniel Spot

Post by Frankug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am

I'm in Georgia but hunt a good bit in Alabama too. Want a dog to assist in Duck hunting and quail hunting. Flushing but also retrieving. Could use him on woodcock in Georgia, when I have them. My parents have two English Cockers they use to retrieve quail after pointed by their 22 English pointers. The Cockers ride the wagon. Post shot they send the Cockers in to retrieve the quail and take it back to the wagon. They do this to perfection. They are male and female. They had pups and I got a male pup who is about four months right now. They have also started to send the Cockers in to flush the quail as my parents get older and have less desire to dive into the thickets. They do this very well. They do not stop at flush however. Didn't train them to do that though. The unsafe issue there is you have spaniels flushing and still hunting while people are shooting. The European method seems safer for the dog. My parents have been hunting for 60 + years and are good with gun and dogs but in hindsight stopping at flushing would be better. So I want to get my dog trained this way.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:18 am

Frankug wrote:I'm in Georgia but hunt a good bit in Alabama too. Want a dog to assist in Duck hunting and quail hunting. Flushing but also retrieving. Could use him on woodcock in Georgia, when I have them. My parents have two English Cockers they use to retrieve quail after pointed by their 22 English pointers. The Cockers ride the wagon. Post shot they send the Cockers in to retrieve the quail and take it back to the wagon. They do this to perfection. They are male and female. They had pups and I got a male pup who is about four months right now. They have also started to send the Cockers in to flush the quail as my parents get older and have less desire to dive into the thickets. They do this very well. They do not stop at flush however. Didn't train them to do that though. The unsafe issue there is you have spaniels flushing and still hunting while people are shooting. The European method seems safer for the dog.
Nice story about your folks and their dogs, but got news for you, what've you described ain't "the European method," it's the trained spaniel method: Steady to flush, shot and fall. Otherwise, guess you'd have to say that Boykins - the American spaniel - also are trained the European way. But they ain't, they're trained the spaniel way, and many of them also are trained the nonslip way, which means they're at the handler's side in a duck blind or dove hide and sent for a retrieve only after marking the shot and fall.

Unfortunately, even spanning the country as gundogguy's contacts do, you're in an area where there are few spaniel pros and few handlers who commit to training their spaniels up to steadiness. Except for Boykins. But you could probably catch up to a retriever club down there and have your cocker trained through their help into steadiness. Right, Cass? :wink:

MG

Frankug

The Spaniel Spot

Post by Frankug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:40 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389364712.181021.jpg
Cockers "riding the wagon". My male pup is the Liver Roan. "Cash" my parents dog is the sire and an old pro on the hunts. He is 9 and our first Cocker.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 am

Frankug wrote:It seems to me the way the Europeans run there spaniels is safer. Stopping, sitting, steady post flush makes more sense to me. Having one run tighter seems better to me. Who trains this way in the states? Is there a good book on it or a good trainer to send a dog to? Have interest in training my new cocker this way. I have trained dogs, but want to get some formal training on four month old English Cocker and myself.
That's how they're all trained fella. Spaniels whether in the UK or here are expected to be steady to flush and shot (after training of course)
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 am

crackerd wrote:But you could probably catch up to a retriever club down there and have your cocker trained through their help into steadiness. Right, Cass? :wink:

MG
10-4 rubber ducky. Sometimes you gotta think outside the box.
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 am

Frankug wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389364712.181021.jpg
Cockers "riding the wagon". My male pup is the Liver Roan. "Cash" my parents dog is the sire and an old pro on the hunts. He is 9 and our first Cocker.
Now i understand your safety concerns quail hunting in some party's can be a hair raising experience. Just ask the friends that VP Richard Chaney hunted with in Texas. A few years aback I sold a fully trained black Cocker to a quail shoot in central Florida, she did a marvelous job for those folks there.
Mike Wallace, Salmy's Kennel, West Virginia would be a good option as well.

Txboykin

Post by Txboykin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Long time lurker but first time poster.

I hope to start contributing to the forum in the near future.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Played around with the Go Pro while out for a walk with Jake today. Here he is quartering and flushing a rabbit: http://youtu.be/5CadoUXDJHs The rabbit is around the 30 second mark, circles wide and flushes across the top of the screen
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:17 am

Chance dog, honoring, his brace mate's work, in training. Dropping at shot or the flush of a bird on the brace mates course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9grcuWM6g

Solid Ice here in Michigan today, no training, Nice just to have power. Last Saturday it was 14 degree below zero F and snow 1.5 inches per hour. This week 38 degr F and rain My plowed retrieving areas are like speed skating venues...fast and slick!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Gundogguy',
Cast yer eye over here?
We run a brace just the same. I was asked to look at the dog on the right,but my 'eye' kept looking at the dog on the left!...Kinda like when you walk down main street with the shopping list ,but something distracts you :wink:
The hunt is the fun,and at this 'Level' !..Too much whistle and Too much command means the dog has to be led (and trained a bit more!) ..The hunt and the flush 'for the gun'!
Is the aim!...Stopping and anticipation is cruel!!...The dog on the right ..after the shot !..It was curtains!! ..good bye!....
BTW, this three day trial ,showed the dog on the left to lift the silver ! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JAE4csFh4

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 am

Hey Cass'
This little 'merican' is coming along with the non slip retriever stuff ! :lol: we've moved on from rabbits though. Reckon this goose is about the same body weight :wink:
gumbo with goose.jpg

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 am

polmaise wrote:Gundogguy',
Cast yer eye over here?
We run a brace just the same. I was asked to look at the dog on the right,but my 'eye' kept looking at the dog on the left!...Kinda like when you walk down main street with the shopping list ,but something distracts you :wink:
The hunt is the fun,and at this 'Level' !..Too much whistle and Too much command means the dog has to be led (and trained a bit more!) ..The hunt and the flush 'for the gun'!
Is the aim!...Stopping and anticipation is cruel!!...The dog on the right ..after the shot !..It was curtains!! ..good bye!....
BTW, this three day trial ,showed the dog on the left to lift the silver ! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JAE4csFh4
From what i could see looks like it fits well with what is expected. " The dog on the right ..after the shot !..It was curtains!!"
Darn dogs acting like a dog. :lol:
It happen to friend of mine with a young dog in the Open at a trial yesterday, in Ohio, Dog had an exceptionally long honor, waiting for his brace mate to complete a long and difficult retrieve (10 mins.) in the first series. Once they got underway again the next bird prove to much for the young lad and he came completely unraveled and broke big time..Thank-you and Good Bye!
The old saying always applies "Train, when your tired train, when broke train, when it's cold train no matter what keep on training"

Nice photog of the the blond with the goose.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 am

Awesome pic polmaise! Way to go gumbo!
Cass

Vantams

The Spaniel Spot

Post by Vantams » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Besides Cockers and Springers, do any of you have direct experience with Boykins? I've been doing a lot research lately, short of actually hunting over one. I'd just like a non-biased opinion of their effectiveness in the field.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forum Fiend v1.1.5.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:38 am

There's a few Boykin owners on here I'm sure they'll chime in soon.
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 am

Vantams,

I do not own a Boykin but have seen several work in the field. My comments will be "general" statements.

For the most part, they have strong retrieve desire, determination in the field, good nose, works with enthusiasm.

The individual dog might vary some and the training is definitely necessary for the obedience. Their action in the field when trained properly will be very similar to any other spaniel, from working lines, properly trained in the field.

I have judged them in AKC Flushing Spaniel Hunt Tests and also hunted with a few after wild birds. Competed with some in "tournament hunt" venues.

Biggest thing is to pick the parents carefully to have a better chance of getting what you want.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am

Darn-tootin' good generalization, Tim - kind words for the breed.

"Their effectiveness in the field" probably spans wider ground for Boykins than for other spaniels - be it dove hide, duck blind or in my case goose pit in addition to the traditional upland pursuits which they may be relatively new to anyhow, as the Boykin originated down South where the great majority of gamebird hunting was on pointed quail. Be that as it may, Boykins take to grouse and woodcock with panache should such opportunity knock.

Springers are the gold standard amongst spaniels, cockers the game darling of underdogs everywhere, and Boykins just want to dive into anything

that might offer them a retrieve or a flush. But you also want them to dive in with the certainty of good health - meaning that health clearances such as OFA, EIC and CERT for both parents, and a 24-36 month guarantee of same for your pup are imperative.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:43 pm

VanTams,
I could echo the comments by Springerdude and Crackerd. I ve assisted in the starting of 3 Boykin pups and have judged and gunned over older dogs in training and in test at various times

In all fairness 2 of the pups were not in an environment that would lend itself to any substantial work,upland or non slip. They were more of a kid's toy.Like is often said around the training center, "nice pup shame they did not get to pick their owner"
The older dogs in test and in training did a fine job with the retrieving aspects of the work, their questing and hunting skills i always felt had been stymied by to much attention to the non-slip and not enough work on just good old bird finding behaviors. aka running style and response to whistle.
I suspect that most of the well bred Boykins are coming from environs that place a great deal of emphasis on non-slip work, specifically UKC HRC testing. And that is fine. If your plans are to serious water fowl hunt like Crackerd then it would a pup acquire thru some one that is very active in the HRC test scene.
If you are attracted to the size of the dog and you are really going to be doing more upland work, you could not go wrong with a Cocker.
Being a Springer guy at heart and in practice a Springer might be more dog than you would want to develop and live with.

Txboykin

The Spaniel Spot

Post by Txboykin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Vantams wrote:Besides Cockers and Springers, do any of you have direct experience with Boykins? I've been doing a lot research lately, short of actually hunting over one. I'd just like a non-biased opinion of their effectiveness in the field.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forum Fiend v1.1.5.
We picked up our first Boykin this past April. He just turned 9 months.

His drive and loyalty are 2nd to none but it's going to take some work on the obedience side. Around the house and during practice, he is great. But get him around a shotgun and downed doves, it's like he flips a switch. He'll calm down with age, though.

Very happy we chose this breed

goatkisser

Post by goatkisser » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 pm

My Boykin SHR Seven Gables Swamp Navigator UN is 5 years old now. It's been a fun trip but way different than training a lab. He's great for what I do, a lot of dove hunting and duck hunting in swamps.He's also become a deadly little flush dog on WC (now that he's steady.) As far as effective, they are great for what they are.... they are not a lab or a Chesapeake and some of them don't have the coat or strength for continuous cold water.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Thats one sharp looking boykin!!!!!!!!
Cass

goatkisser

Post by goatkisser » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 am

Thank you! That is a nice looking cocker also! What does he weigh?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:17 pm

He just turned 1 year old on Jan 7th. He's 35 lbs! Lean and leggy lol
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Well the snow keeps flying up here, I've had enough. Jake seems to be enjoying it though, here's some shots from today out playing in the yard

Cass

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't own a spaniel, I am a pointing dog guy through and through.....probably never will own anything but a pointing dog.....
having said that let me share a little story about my one experience hunting over spaniels....

I used to have access to a lot of private land full of pheasants and quail. A lot of this being thick brushy creek bottom type cover. The creek bottoms no doubt a flushing breed of some type could handle better then a pointer, but I killed my share without a problem.
One day I invited a couple friends to go hunting with me, at the time they guided for a pretty prestigious lodge and wanted to run there dogs on some wild birds for some tuning....We hunted a few area's over there shorthairs and pointers...had a good time. Went a particularly thick creek bottom in early afternoon, this was earlier in the season when the leaves are still on all the bushes etc. The birds are there, but can be hard to move....
They took one look at this and both grinned real big. Told everyone(we had 4 people) to stock up on ammo and prepare for something we'd never seen before. They then went to the trailer and pulled out 3 cocker spaniels, all 3 younger dogs around a year old. I had never actually seen a field cocker in person. Really cute, really animated, full of energy. Cool dogs.....My buddy glanced around, asked if everyone was ready....when we said yes he smirked and his wife said doubtful. Then they cut them loose....
Holy cow, it was a whirlwind of movement, cockers seemed to be going in all directions at once zig zagging through the cover, always inside or just on the edge of gun range. Of course with there stature they could pretty much run full bore right under all the cover, the birds never had a chance, and never knew what hit them. I shot a couple of birds, a rooster and a couple of quail, then just broke my gun open and watched the the little buggers work. Reckless abandonment and a desire to find every bird possible was evident in the dogs eyes. As well as a clownish attitude mixed in. I have never seen so many quail and pheasants take flight, before and since on this property....

If I was to ever add something besides a pointing breed to the arsenal....it would definitely be a cocker, for a riot of watching them if for no other reason...

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Great post orbirdhunter! I chose a cocker myself because I read that they lived for getting into the nastiest of cover to push birds out. Most of the places I hunt it is hard to get a clear shot ever anyways, but I will say since I added Jake to my life I have seen (and shot, though this is not always the case hahahaha) more birds than I have in my entire life. Its amazing some of the places he gets into and flushes them out of. I love the look of a pointing dog holding a solid point but for me I think I really love the excitement of having a flusher. Maybe once I get older I won't feel the same way but right now its the perfect fit for me.
Cass