3 year old weim

WestWIWeim

3 year old weim

Post by WestWIWeim » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:18 am

Hi all,

I have a 3.5 year old weim and I'm interested in getting her to be a better bird dog and want get some feedback on her current stage of development and any pointer's on how to get her to improve.

Couple of things to note:
She had both TPLO's repaired when she was a year and a half old, she has recovered nicely.
She's not gun shy and handles shots well
She gets "birdy"

Things I'm wondering about
she looks back at me very often
she will only weave when she smells something she likes and otherwise runs in a straight line more or less
She will point, but isn't very staunch unless she can see the bird
She looks back at me while on point

Also, I raised 50 pheasant in a flight pen this year so she might have been over exposed to the smell?

Thanks in advance for all the insight.

AtTheMurph

Re: 3 year old weim

Post by AtTheMurph » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 am

My first gun dog was a Weim. What you are describing is almost the exact things I did with mine. Here is what I learned over the years with her.

Weims are notoriously late bloomers. 3.5yrs is like 1 yr for some other breeds so be patient. Your dog will only keep getting better for many more years. Mine hunted until she was 14 yrs old and really hit her prime at 10yrs when many other dogs were being put out to retirement.

I had to keep taking her out. She learned to hunt more than having a natural genetic makeup for it. The dog is looking back at you for two reasons, to see where you are and to get feedback on how it is doing. Keep encouraging the dog and it will get better and do what you want. Never had a dog more willing to please than my Weim.

It will learn to go out and hunt for what you are looking for. Keep going and over time you will be very pleased and the dog will be very happy to please you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:11 pm

WestWIWeim wrote:Hi all,

I have a 3.5 year old weim and I'm interested in getting her to be a better bird dog and want get some feedback on her current stage of development and any pointer's on how to get her to improve.

Things I'm wondering about:
she looks back at me very often
she will only weave when she smells something she likes and otherwise runs in a straight line more or less
She will point, but isn't very staunch unless she can see the bird
She looks back at me while on point

Both those are signs of a lack of confidence. Try to say as little as possible in the field.When she looks back make no eye contact. Do you use a launcher?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Quotes ...."The dog is looking back at you for two reasons, to see where you are and to get feedback on how it is doing. Keep encouraging the dog and it will get better and do what you want. "

.............."Both those are signs of a lack of confidence. Try to say as little as possible in the field.When she looks back make no eye contact. "

Which of these is the best way to go ? Does it depend on the individual dog ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 pm

It's a hard call. The dog can be too dependent on the handler's approval to be independent. But, I'm sure there are dogs whose independence comes from knowing they are pleasing the handler. Hard call.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

WestWIWeim

Post by WestWIWeim » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Sharon, I currently do not use a launcher. I used tethered pigeons when training as a pup.

Grace is a very responsive dog when it comes to obedience, but it seems like she'd lacking some of the drive I've seen in other dogs.

Thanks for the information up to this point.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:45 am

My weim is 1-1/2. He does the same thing but seems to do it less every timehe has contact w ith a bird. I don't really say anything to him when hunting.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:09 am

WestWIWeim wrote:Hi Sharon, I currently do not use a launcher. I used tethered pigeons when training as a pup.

Grace is a very responsive dog when it comes to obedience, but it seems like she'd lacking some of the drive I've seen in other dogs.

Thanks for the information up to this point.

A launcher is really worth the money as it allows you more control over the flush. Consider not tethering your birds. If the dog can watch that bird fly off when he mis steps, it is worth the $2.00 or so for the bird x 20 birds maybe. There is a short training time on pigeons normally, anyways.. I'm in the city so have no bylaw for homers, but I always let that hard flying pigeon take off. Speeds up steadiness imo.

WestWIWeim

Post by WestWIWeim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Here's a timeline of training we've done. She was born in May of 2010.

Birth to 1- obedience, excitement about birds, gun introduction, fetch
1-2 - pigeon training, also found out about her torn TPLO's so she had surgery in January.
2-3 - recovery and strength regain. Some bird hunting in the Fall of 2012, but not much.
3-Present - little training, but better physical shape overall.

I guess what I'm most wondering about is what basic things can I work on to make her a decent bird dog? She's not for competition hunting, just a good companion to go and chase birds with. Honestly she doesn't even need to be a perfect pointer. I just want to know when she's "birdy"

Thanks,