Choke or Prong Collar?

RichK

Choke or Prong Collar?

Post by RichK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Which is the recommend tool for basic obedience?

Del Lolo

Re: Choke or Prong Collar?

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Used PROPERLY, a prong collar is best

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Care to explain the proper way of using one?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:30 pm

RichK wrote:Care to explain the proper way of using one?
Trainer applies 10% of the 'pressure'.
Dog supplies 90%.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 am

Most people that train for obedience competition use a choke collar. I'm not sure you'd be allowed in the ring with a claw collar.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:26 am

Regular choke collar
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 am

I prefer the prong collar for the simple reason that I seem to be able to get the point across to the dog with less pressure.

Oh, and not all prong collars are created equal, The smaller sized prong collar with the smaller diameter prongs are actually a lot harder on a dog that the oversized prong collars due to the relative e sharpness of the smaller prongs. A JASA pinch collar, with blunted points might actually be a better choice due to the spring action of the leather collar.

My choice for obedience type work in the yard is now a Smith Wonder lead. It is basically a small diameter waxed roping lariat. I use a pigging string, which is similar in function, but cheaper.

RayG

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 am

RayGubernat wrote:I prefer the prong collar for the simple reason that I seem to be able to get the point across to the dog with less pressure.

Oh, and not all prong collars are created equal, The smaller sized prong collar with the smaller diameter prongs are actually a lot harder on a dog that the oversized prong collars due to the relative e sharpness of the smaller prongs. A JASA pinch collar, with blunted points might actually be a better choice due to the spring action of the leather collar.

My choice for obedience type work in the yard is now a Smith Wonder lead. It is basically a small diameter waxed roping lariat. I use a pigging string, which is similar in function, but cheaper.

RayG
I agree. Be sure to measure your dog's neck so the prong collar is a proper fit.

NOTE: I'm pretty sure we aren't talking about a collar to use in the 'obedience ring', but rather for the training of fundamental obedience commands.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am

RichK wrote:Which is the recommend tool for basic obedience?
In addition to field work & some hunting, we do obedience with both our dogs (one is a CDX working on UD; the other is CGC working on CD).

In obedience CLASSES, most of us use a prong collar. In fact,our GSPs have customized Herm Sprenger collars. However, if you are actually in an obedience event, or doing a "run through" in a ring, prong collars as not allowed.

Hope this helped,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 am

I have a 2yo shorthair who has been to obedience training and the only thing that keeps her at me side is the pinch collar. She knows as soon as I put it on her and stays by my side. I have tried everything and the only other thing that worked was a gentle leader but it would ride up on her snout and get near her eyes so she would stop to try and rub it off. The pinch collar cost me less than $10. Hope this helps.

John

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:16 am

I use prong at first but now don't it. My wife uses it to take the dog out (broken arm), it turns the dog to putty in her hands. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

SubMariner wrote:
In addition to field work & some hunting, we do obedience with both our dogs (one is a CDX working on UD; the other is CGC working on CD).

In obedience CLASSES, most of us use a prong collar. In fact,our GSPs have customized Herm Sprenger collars. However, if you are actually in an obedience event, or doing a "run through" in a ring, prong collars as not allowed.

Hope this helped,
My dog is at the trainer until next weekend and I want to order the collar now, is a medium Herm Sprenger the correct size for a GSP?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm

A German study showed that a choke chain was much more likely to cause injury to the larynx.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 pm

RichK wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

Hope this helped,
My dog is at the trainer until next weekend and I want to order the collar now, is a medium Herm Sprenger the correct size for a GSP?
It's hard to gauge because the Collars come in different sizes. Is there any way you can have the Trainer get a measurement of his neck? You'd then have an idea what size to get; plus you can add or remove prongs as needed.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm

I suggest you get a larger sized prong collar. I have the(I think) X large for my dogs(35-60# pointers). The wire is about 3/16" in diameter. I checked the prongs and filed off any sharp or rough edges when I first brought it home. There is, I think one size bigger than what I have.

The larger the collar the thicker the wire that the prongs are made of and the less the prongs will actually "pinch"the dog. As I mentioned previously, the small dog collars are made from some pretty thin gauge wire and I can envision them actually puncturing skin on a strong dog, surging forward.

You can take out(or add) as many individual prong units(links) as you need to make the collar fit the dog's neck properly.

RayG

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

RichK wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

Hope this helped,
That ought to be about right.....and the Sprenger collars are good quality.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno