Im Back

jeffkrop

Im Back

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Ive been away all summer busy at the cabin and around the house. I hope everyone had a great summer.
Ive got my pigeons flying around the house and the dog loving them.
This will be my 10 month old brattiness first hunting season. I have not trained anything other then come and a love for birds, just letting him be a puppy.
We have spent many days looking for hunting spots letting him run around in the woods, So he knows the goal. He has had bird around him sense 4 months old.

So my question is, is there any training I should do before the season?
Something that I will be mad I missed?

Its almost time
Jeffrey Kropelnicki

4dabirds

Re: Im Back

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:36 am

http://georgehickox.com/about_george_hi ... -tips.html Probably be a good idea to spend some time brushing up on how to train a hunting dog.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:44 am

4dabirds wrote:http://georgehickox.com/about_george_hi ... -tips.html Probably be a good idea to spend some time brushing up on how to train a hunting dog.
So are you saying Ive done it all wrong?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 am

I don't know that there is a right or wrong way, just a lot of different ways, most of which work. Bird season has started here. If I were you I just take the pup out hunting and don't shoot anything the pup doesn't handle. Pup bumps the bird, don't shoot.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:54 am

So I have read most let the pup be a pup and shot birds his first season. I am hunting grouse in thick woods. After the first season start training wha and things like this. He holds well for the pigeons so this should be a great start.
I guess if this site is not fun like it was all spring then Wee Wee.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:58 am

jeffkrop wrote:
4dabirds wrote:http://georgehickox.com/about_george_hi ... -tips.html Probably be a good idea to spend some time brushing up on how to train a hunting dog.
He probably is but he forgets there are many methods that work. He is a disciple of Hickox and anything else is wrong. I know a couple of trainers out east that spend a lot of their time fixing some of the dogs that Hickox has trained. That happens with everyone though but it does prove the theory that every dog is different and when you get locked in to only one way you will be wrong more than you are right.

Your season will be pretty much learning for your pup so be patient and try and work on his manners around the birds when he finds them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 am

ezzy333 wrote:
jeffkrop wrote:
He probably is but he forgets there are many methods that work. He is a disciple of Hickox and anything else is wrong. I know a couple of trainers out east that spend a lot of their time fixing some of the dogs that Hickox has trained. That happens with everyone though but it does prove the theory that every dog is different and when you get locked in to only one way you will be wrong more than you are right.

Your season will be pretty much learning for your pup so be patient and try and work on his manners around the birds when he finds them.

Ezzy
George is keeping 2 guys busy fixing his mistakes?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:30 am

Your pup will be learning some of its most valuable lessons from the best trainer in the woods, Old Mr. Ruff.
Let your pup have fun try to let him point and hold at least until the flush before shooting. You may need to shoot a wild flush bird just so he understands that this is what DAD wants.

Make sure your recall is good and true.
Make sure you have him good to the gun.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 pm

jeffkrop wrote:Ive been away all summer busy at the cabin and around the house. I hope everyone had a great summer.
Ive got my pigeons flying around the house and the dog loving them.
This will be my 10 month old brattiness first hunting season. I have not trained anything other then come and a love for birds, just letting him be a puppy.
We have spent many days looking for hunting spots letting him run around in the woods, So he knows the goal. He has had bird around him sense 4 months old.

Its almost time
Jeffrey Kropelnicki
I would say as long as you do not shoot birds that the pup has not pointed and held point to the flush and i also will say properly collar conditioned so you do not have any recall problems there is nothing wrong with giving the pup his first season to just be a pup.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
jeffkrop wrote:

Ezzy
Were the dogs really screwed up by Hickox? Or someone before or after he worked them? :?

Nitrex

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I would say you are off to a good start. I let mine run and bump till they vet tired of chasing for the first year. Have fun, see what you like and don't like, start training in the spring.

Gonna have to say I have heard the term "hickoxed" thrown around by a few pros..... generally not s compliment.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:24 pm

He is collar conditioned on here and heal but never wha. and very good on the gun. So I think having fun for one season is the best way to go.
I to have look past Hickox thinking it is way outdated.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm

That's pretty rude. The guy asked a simple question. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:04 pm

jeffkrop wrote:He is collar conditioned on here and heal but never wha. and very good on the gun. So I think having fun for one season is the best way to go.

I'd say you're ready to go. Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I was in your shoes last fall with my britt, I would put the dog on the ground and see how he does, don't shoot anything the dog doesnt point I would keep the shots to singles at first just to be on the save side, I would bet if he hold on pigeons he wil start to handle some of the grouse he finds, my goal was to get as many wild bird contacts as we could, no matter how few went In the bag, I find it a lot easyer to run the dog with atleast a beeper to kept in contact and know when he is on point, as you know the cover you are hunting is very thick, sometime I cant see my dog and she just 25 ft away I just find it more comforting to know where my dog is so I can let um do there thing without me getting in the way. just have fun that what hunting about :D

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 pm

[quote="jeffkrop"]

Since sharon said that I was rude maybe I should elaborate. I think that something you have missed Is a logical sequential training program. You do not seem to have one based on your question. This post and obviously my so called rude answer have spurred another post in what training should be done first year. Personally my opinion , and it is just that, is a dog is most trainable in its early months. Allowing a dog to hunt with out any formal yard work gives you no way to control what the dog will do in a situation where the variables are countless. So training for expected behaviors when the situation arises to me is a way of controlling the outcome. Since hunting is not training , yet the dog is ingrained with the behaviors as the dog sees them , it will be a crap shoot as to wether your expectation and your dogs learned associations from hunting are one in the same. I don't mean to rain on your parade but sometimes the truth is harder to hear then the easy thing to do. So since this is a training forum I recommended that you do just that ,along with some free information, . I do not see how this was rude. The only way I can see this as being rude is to the people like ezzy who believe that hunting dogs train themselves and post these things on a forum dedicated to training . It only seems right that if someone comes to a training forum what they are looking for is information on training. HOW IS IT RUDE TO RECOMMEND THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY TRAINS THEIR DOG BEFORE THEY TAKE IT HUNTING. So read the articles they were mostly published previously in a well respected magazine called Shooting Sportsman. The author is George Hickox. Ezzy hates him. I do not know why , he is on the pro staff at purina and writes for their magazine as well that is distributed to breeders. He has been working with the u.s. govt as a consultant for dog training as well as breed selection for the miliatary canine program, He runs training camps for people like us , is a professional hunting guide, breeder and trainer of pointing as well as retriever breeds for upland hunting. Ezzy says I am a disciple. This is really unfair because that would mean, that George ,in Ezzies mind is like Jesus. I know he is not jesus because he likes to carouse around in the bar talking dogs till ten in the evening after having spent the day with folks like me just because the guy loves dogs so much. So next time you go out with your dog don"t ask what jesus would do , ask what George would do :D . What ever you do though do not ask what ezzy would do :evil:

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Sharon wrote:
That's pretty rude. The guy asked a simple question. :roll:

Based on how you phrased it, I would have to agree with Sharon.
Sharon wrote:
jeffkrop wrote:He is collar conditioned on here and heal but never wha. and very good on the gun. So I think having fun for one season is the best way to go.

I'd say you're ready to go. Enjoy.
I'd say go with what you got, and update on how you guys do. To me you sound like you did your initial part to get things rolling. With all the foliage early in the season, the dog should get some good exposure on whether or not to chase a flushed bird. And if he does break, don't shoot, he will get the hint.
4dabirds wrote:
jeffkrop wrote: So next time you go out with your dog don"t ask what jesus would do , ask what George would do :D .
There are plenty of people on here that have given good advice already. Don't get me wrong, SOME things I tend to agree with one person, but I generally hear out more than one person so I can create a far better solution to a problem.