Remembering the training

ruffbritt4

Remembering the training

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

Does anybody have experience taking a 4 month break from bird work with a dog? We did training like throwing bumpers but no live bird work. We focused strongly on obedience. We did go out a few times to run but no birds. I don't expect my dog to do great the first few birds. Has anyone taken a long break like this and how did your dog do the first time back on birds. I have a pointer not a flusher if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by ruffbritt4 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Remembering the training

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:Does anybody have experience taking a 4 month break from bird work with a dog? We did training like throwing bumpers but no live bird work. We focused strongly on obedience. We did go out a few times to run but no birds. I don't expect my dog to do great the first few birds. Has anyone taken a long break like this and how did your dog do the first time back on birds. I have a pointer not a flusher if it makes a difference.
Your dog will remember to point for sure. The question is will he hold for you? They remember pretty quick...probably faster than we do. He will probably need a little "brush up" training depending on how well he was trained in the first place.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 am

I figured he would probly point then bump the first 1 or 2, then remember

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 am

If the work was thorough enough and done consistently over a long enough period of time then the training should have been converted to long term memory and the dog should perform fairly closely to the way it was once the break started. In my experience, it is not that the dog has "forgotten" what to do so much as we don't expect them to do what has already been trained so we almost instantly "untrain" them. I am actually working with two young dogs right now that I did puppy training with and are back for more advanced work without any serious training since the end of bird season. They are both right where they were 5 months ago.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 am

I have a question along these lines my seven month pup seems to be doing good and I am using a training table. I will not have the time to commit in years down the road that I have this year. My question is does any one have luck with using the table as a refresher once she is finished? I say this with the understanding I still have a ways to go with her I'm just asking for years from now.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 am

Dogs that are finished are finished. I'm talking about mature, experienced dogs here. What I mean by finished is a consistent response to commands every time they are given. My 8 year old pointer needs some road work before hunting season and a bird or two just to warm her up but the training is in place. Don't get me wrong, I don't wait until opening day to let her out of the kennel but, I think if I did I would have no problem with her. She knows what to do.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:Does anybody have experience taking a 4 month break from bird work with a dog? We did training like throwing bumpers but no live bird work. We focused strongly on obedience. We did go out a few times to run but no birds. I don't expect my dog to do great the first few birds. Has anyone taken a long break like this and how did your dog do the first time back on birds. I have a pointer not a flusher if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help!
I take about a four month break every summer when it's hot, they may bump the first bird or two, but not more than that.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:Does anybody have experience taking a 4 month break from bird work with a dog? We did training like throwing bumpers but no live bird work. We focused strongly on obedience. We did go out a few times to run but no birds. I don't expect my dog to do great the first few birds. Has anyone taken a long break like this and how did your dog do the first time back on birds. I have a pointer not a flusher if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help!
I take about a four month break every summer when it's hot, they may bump the first bird or two, but not more than that.
That's what I like to hear! I still will not expect him to be great. I'll let you know how he does. I appreciate the help from everyone!