Baby "Happy Timing"

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Baby "Happy Timing"

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:46 am

No birds or anything, just an early romp in the field. Not ranging far or knowing what to do, just playing. Good times though. 8)
http://youtu.be/uu9MdGSQSso

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Baby "Happy Timing"

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 pm

He's doing just right. Love that age!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SafetyChain

Post by SafetyChain » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Looks great! At what point did you decide he could run free? I am afraid to let my 10 week old Brittany go just yet.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Great time in their life for both of you. :)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 pm

I am blessed with a big space... bit I get puppies running free a few times a week as early as I can. She is 9 weeks here. At that early age she is afraid to be out alone so she easily learns to pay attention to where I am. It makes handling easier if I start before they want to leave :)
but part of the goal of happy timing is getting her comfortable in the field away from me.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:52 pm

SafetyChain wrote:Looks great! At what point did you decide he could run free? I am afraid to let my 10 week old Brittany go just yet.
Find a safe place like mountaindogs has. This is the time to teach them to come to you and go with you with no pressure. Also a time to keep them from becoming a "Velcro pup". There is a lot of reading out there that deals with this topic and stage of life. Mo Lindley talks about this in his book training with Moe.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Nice pup, whos he out of?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Here is another Happy Timing Session :) still baby stuff for the little girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Uus4fkcG24

(Markj sending a PM)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:22 pm

SafetyChain wrote:Looks great! At what point did you decide he could run free? I am afraid to let my 10 week old Brittany go just yet.

I'm of the opinion that you don't "wait" until they're ready to run leash-free, you start them out that way. For me, it's not when to let them go free but when to start reining them in from the free running. When they're small, they'll look to come back to you - as they get bigger, that's when you want to worry (or just work on recall when they're little with positive reinforcement).

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 am

RoostersMom wrote:

I'm of the opinion that you don't "wait" until they're ready to run leash-free, you start them out that way. For me, it's not when to let them go free but when to start reining them in from the free running. When they're small, they'll look to come back to you - as they get bigger, that's when you want to worry (or just work on recall when they're little with positive reinforcement).
well put, that's exactly it. Now if you have a very very busy neighborhood you do need to go to a more out of the way place.
You can see in video 1 she is staying very close mostly. In video two I had to zoom in on some shots and she is ranging more. But she looks back often to be sure I am around. She does not want to be left behind yet, and NOW is the time for her to learn to watch and listen for me. Later I'll have to "remind" her to do that when the field gets SO enthralling that she forgets about me.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 am

RoostersMom wrote:

+1

There's no better teacher than experience. This is how a pup learns to be bold and confident in the field.

Nate

robert_lh

Post by robert_lh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Good looking pup. I learned that the dog doesn't want to leave you at that age. Just keep your work with calling going with a check chord and plenty of pats and "good dogs". I'm sure that all dogs are different, but my 1 year old doesn't want to leave my side. By the time your dog does desire to wander from your side, be darn sure that NOTHING will keep that dog from coming when called. I have found the E-Collar to be a useful tool in my pup's learning as well, but not until they are older.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am

Very enjoyable. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett