Bark Collars and Labrador Guard Dogs

MinneapolisMatt

Bark Collars and Labrador Guard Dogs

Post by MinneapolisMatt » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Hopefully the subject get's this post some views.

Does anyone have general thoughts or philosophy on bark collars? I have read information both ways, and I am interested to hear what others think. My 10 month old lab will often bark when he knows I am around but he is kenneled. This is something I would like to correct.

Additionally, I am wondering if any of you have trained your dog to bark when strangers enter your house, are outside, or even just when someone knocks or the doorbell rings? My last lab did it instinctually, and I appreciated it beccause it let people know I have a dog. He also stopped immediately when I told him to. My current lab barks at the wrong times and takes more convincing to be quiet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughtful input.

roaniecowpony

Re: Bark Collars and Labrador Guard Dogs

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

I used a bark collar on my lab consistently for several months after I got her (1yr old) when we went to work. The goal was to be a good neighbor and control any tendency of the dog to bark unprovoked. It essentially extinguished any barking. Fast forward 5 yrs and we get a 2 yr old pointer that barked at everything, even us if we startled her. The lab quickly regained her barking. Judicious use of bark collars has brought both to a reasonable level. Maintenance use of the collar is still needed.

mask

Re: Bark Collars and Labrador Guard Dogs

Post by mask » Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

They are a good tool and I have not seen any harm done by their use. I'm sure it will work for you.