First introduction to birds

Derrick

First introduction to birds

Post by Derrick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Ok guys im about to introduce my GSP to bird for the first time when I get out of work today. I have 4 pigeons at home and im wondering how I should do it for the first time he ever encounters a bird in the field. Should I tie a bottle to its leg with water so he cant fly to high and then set him in a field and walk the dog through so he can find it? Then after a few times of it flying away he should learn that he needs to hold back a little? I've read a couple books and watched hours of video, but this is the first pointing dog i've trained and this part is making me nervous because I dont want to do it wrong.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: First introduction to birds

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm

These links should help. How old is your dog? Make sure the dog can't catch the bird and no flapping pigeons on the ground in the backyard that could scare the dog and put him off birds.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=42125&p=388109&hil ... ds#p388109

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=42118
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

He is 4 months old now. He has seen the pigeons in their coop and LOVES them. He's not scared of much at all (nothing i have seen yet except cold water haha) and seems to really have a bird drive..

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Derrick,

Get homers so that you can re-use them time and time again without worrying about your dog catching them. Get the Perfect Start DVD and see how they introduce birds and gunfire to a pup - it's a good series for you to see. For the first time, you just want him excited about the birds and chasing them. I wouldn't put them on the ground, I'd hold them and let them fly off from near the ground in front of the pup. You're wanting him excited about the birds and chasing at that point. The pointing and holding comes later.

Good luck with him!

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

I haven't seen that video I will buy that one and check it out!

I got some homers but I need to wait for them to have babies so they will home to MY coop. I don't know if these guys I ha e now would re home to mine or not so I'm just gonna wait until they have some babies. Maybe I'll go net some feral ones and let em go near him. I'll watch that movie as soon as I get it and get a chance. We still have some snow on the ground so it could wait a few more weeks until I've seen it.