Carding pigeons for cheapskates

Scott Linden

Carding pigeons for cheapskates

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

My pigeons die of old age because I seldom let them fly free (they are the descendants of washout racers, never been homed). The hawks seem to enjoy the ones I contribute to their well-balanced diet, too. So, I use various tethers, weights, etc. Just wondered what others use to ensure a decent 20-30 yard flight and gentle touchdown. Real cardboard? Garden hose? I like decoy weights but am curious as to what smarter folk than me use.

Best,
Scott
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Carding pigeons for cheapskates

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I never restrict them since that is the formula for hawk attacks and when they are allowed to fly free I have never had one caught though I have seen some awesome attacks. let them go home and bring them back tomorrow. I have no problem turning them loose if we are withing a 100 miles of home. They will be there when I get home. And most would be ok as long as you are within 500 miles miles if they are in condition. When we race them we fly them up tp 600 miles and some will be home by dark if they are released near sun up but most should be back the next day. People do race them occasionally as far as 1500 miles.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 pm

If you just want them to fly 20 to 30 yards, I would suggest a pigeon pole.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks guys. Trying to minimize the tangling of a cord - pole works great, but where I train lots of brush that will tangle a cord. Plus, don't want to be limited to that location when running the dog free - I like to just drop a bird on the ground as we are out there.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I don't restrict them either. I have ferals that come home from Boyce Corrals near Madras. I also have homer's that come back from Bend. The beauty of the pigeon is that you can make it act pretty wild and it goes home to be used again tomorrow. Unlike a wild bird, pigeons co-operate with you. I have had some loss's to hawks, lot more than I like. But most always make it home. Worst place for losing them is right here! There are very well known pro's that do card, Dave Walker come's to mind first. But dangling the card could end up a pigeon dangling up side down in a tree or hanging from a power line; most likely both are dead birds!

As someone pointed out, you could use a pigeon pole. You'd have to chose your spot well but I'm sure that would work. Only drawback I can thing of is if a hawk spots your tied up pigeon, you just may loose it. Of course the same can be said of a pigeon with cardboard of hose dangling.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jczv

Post by jczv » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Similar to what someone posted on a different board I had the most luck when I used a 20-24 oz soda bottle and then added the amount of water needed to weight it appropriately for that pigeon. I've used coffee can lids (worked with some birds not with others), card board squares (cardboard got wet and to easily caught in brush), waxed cardboard (worked a little better) and the bottles worked the best. You can also modify the flight by pulling some flight feathers (especially on one side) in combination.

If you have enough open space without trees one advantage of carded birds is that you can fly in the birds if you have a dog that likes tracking your footsteps to the bird.