Live Birds in NY?

RichK

Live Birds in NY?

Post by RichK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 pm

It looks like if I were to apply for a Domestic Game Bird license in NY. I could possess pheasant and quail for dog training in the state. Does anyone here in NY have this license? Is it worth going through the effort to get this or am I better off using pigeons?

ridenismo

Re: Live Birds in NY?

Post by ridenismo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey rich, i know nothing about the game bird license in NY, BUT i am a supporter of the pheasant CO-OP program. The NYS DEC give supporters day old chicks free of charge to be raised at an individuals house, farm, etc. This year i myself applied for 150 chicks, and they can be released at any age between 8 weeks old and Dec 1st. The good part of this program is you need no license to do it, and you can release the birds at your locations of choice. Although not QUITE as useful as having birds of your own, it is a nice opportunity to release a few birds at a time and location that just happen to coincide with a training outing (obvious downfall is you arent able to shoot any of these birds for your dog). Its a good program to support here in our state to help encourage population growth as well as increase interest in upland hunting in and around NY.