Training with doves instead of pigeons

Roxie1

Training with doves instead of pigeons

Post by Roxie1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Does anyone use live morning dove to train instead of pigeon. Just asking because I could trap them in my back yard and use them in stead of pigeons as they come in when I put bird seed out all the time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Training with doves instead of pigeons

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Roxie1 wrote:Does anyone use live morning dove to train instead of pigeon. Just asking because I could trap them in my back yard and use them in stead of pigeons as they come in when I put bird seed out all the time.
Not legal to catch doves in most places as far as I know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Roxie1 wrote:Does anyone use live morning dove to train instead of pigeon. Just asking because I could trap them in my back yard and use them in stead of pigeons as they come in when I put bird seed out all the time.
Doves shed feathers pretty easy.. Lots of dogs don't really like having a bunch of feathers stuck in their mouth after they drop the bird.

Roxie1

Post by Roxie1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Sorry I didn't want the dog to handle the bird. I was thinking more on the lines of that magic bush drill where the bird flushes until you start to get pointing established. Any opinions on this

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 am

Think it's always best to do it the old fashioned way of using pigeons. Plus doves are protected most everywhere.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

While morning doves would be illegal, in many states you could use eurasian collared doves (in many states they are considered an invasive species and are completely non protected, just like rock doves [pigeons]). Of course, you would want to be careful to not catch morning doves by mistake.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Even if it were legal, I would avoid training with doves. And, while doves and pigeons are close relatives, pigeons have much more scent, and dogs don't tend to mishandle them as often as doves. Doves tend to get a good eager dog to be mouthy with them. Stick with pigeons or larger birds if you can.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 am

I think pigeons are much easier to handle. Doves are a game bird (or a song bird - depending on where you live), so they cannot be legally trapped or 'harassed' in most places.

Higgins' 'Magic Brush Pile' is not a pointing drill - it is a steadying drill - and a good one. It teaches you dog to stand while you go forward and flush & shoot the bird. I have worked with Brad Higgins a little and his Brush Pile drill does work as advertised. He has other views that I do not agree with.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

DJWorm

Post by DJWorm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 am

Doves do not emit a good "game bird" scent whereas pigeons do.

Doves are a Federal protected migratory game bird.....Ie be very careful.