I have to ask about the e-Collar

jeffkrop

I have to ask about the e-Collar

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 am

Ok Ive been looking at every option for a e-collar. I held back asking about this because I know it is so comen but Im lost.
My dog is a brittany.
I have $300 to spend.
Im thinking I would like 1 or 2 more dogs down the road. 1-5 years from now.
I will mainly be hunting grouse in northern Minnesota.
I dont know if I need a beeper.
Ive been looking at the
Tri-tronics 70, Tri-tronics Sport Combo G3, Tri-tronics Tri-Sport G3.
Im open to anything Id love to spend less money and get some more pigeons but I need to pick something and get Aspen started.

ibbowhunting

Re: I have to ask about the e-Collar

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

I have to recommend the pro 100 that works great for me and my britt but I don't think you can get a new one for 300 buck btw were in northern Minnesota do you grouse hunt?

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am

I would second the pro 100 but at $300 the field 70 is a solid collar

hill

Post by hill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 am

I have the sport g3 and have been happy with it. I bought in new in 2006 and haven't had any problems. My hunting buddy has a retriever and uses the sport g3 also. His dog gets hunted hard and also does hunt tests and he's never had any issues with his e-collar. Seeing him train in the mud and water leads me to believe mine will last forever.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

Looks like the 100 is $455 on Amazon. Why do people like this one so much?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 am

jeffkrop wrote:Looks like the 100 is $455 on Amazon. Why do people like this one so much?
The ease of increasing continuous stim levels is really convenient. Every dial level has a low med high level button so you never have to fiddle with the dial when needing to increase stim. In addition to that it has one momentary stim button that is always on high for whatever dial level you are at. It can also be used remotely with a beeper. If you want low med high buttons for monetary stim get the 200 which has one cont stim button on high. The 500 allows you to switch back and forth.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 am

I'd recommend one with a beeper if you're hunting in woods. If you haven't seen your dog for awhile and you get worried, it's nice to be able to hit locate and listen for the collar beep rather than yelling for your dog and turning it into a yo yo dog. I leave the beeper off and only use it when I want to find the dog. I've got a Dogtra 2500 T&B collar, which has a beeper. It's in the $350-400 range. I'm sure TriTronics makes one as well. TriTronics and Dogtra are the only brands to buy, IMO. One thing I like about the Dogtra over the TriTronics is that you can only turn the Dogtra on/off by pressing the handheld unit against the collar. I've also got a Garmin/TriTronics Alpha, which is a good product, but the TriTronics collar has a button that turns the collar on and off. Every now and then this button will get accidently pushed while the dog is running and turn the collar off. If you're trying to stay under $300, you should be able to find a used TriTronics or Dogtra here or maybe on ebay. People who upgrade to Alphas are often selling their beeper collars.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Ive got a sport combo and am not overly thrilled with it. After 3yrs the detent ball on the intensity dial has quit "detenting" and I have to be very careful before I make corrections and be certain that it is where I want it. My next one will be a 100.

You may look at collar clinic and see if they have any reconditioned units also.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

S&J gsp wrote:I would second the pro 100 but at $300 the field 70 is a solid collar

I've got a 70 and like it alot. If you decide on the 70 (Since you are thinking of adding more dogs down the road), make sure you get the one that can be expanded to multiple dogs---they make a 1 dog 70 that runs about $30 less than the regular 70---the one $30 less you can NOT add more collars to. The 70 is continueos shock, I just tap the button for momintary shocks (which works fine for my training). You can add a beeper to it. It does have a tone that you can train the dog to recall to. I can operate this collar with out having to look away from the dog to adjust the level, etc.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Ive got a sport combo and am not overly thrilled with it. After 3yrs the detent ball on the intensity dial has quit "detenting" and I have to be very careful before I make corrections and be certain that it is where I want it. My next one will be a 100.

You may look at collar clinic and see if they have any reconditioned units also.

Jim
I guess you just never know. I have used a Tritronics Sport Basic G3 ( less than $300.) for 10 years ( 3 times a week) , and NO problems - just changed the transmitter battery for the first time. ( Switched to a Dogtra 2500 B/T when I needed a beeper.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I guess you just never know. I have used a Tritronics Sport Basic G3 ( less than $300.) for 10 years ( 3 times a week) , and NO problems - just changed the transmitter battery for the first time. ( Switched to a Dogtra 2500 B/T when I needed a beeper.)[/quote]

Thats the thing with collars, Everyone has a different thing to say. I have no clue what to get I feel like I should be able to get something good for $300.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Can I add a beeper to the 100?

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm

jeffkrop wrote:I guess you just never know. I have used a Tritronics Sport Basic G3 ( less than $300.) for 10 years ( 3 times a week) , and NO problems - just changed the transmitter battery for the first time. ( Switched to a Dogtra 2500 B/T when I needed a beeper.)
Thats the thing with collars, Everyone has a different thing to say. I have no clue what to get I feel like I should be able to get something good for $300.[/quote]

It looks like the cheapest Tritronics with a beeper that you can get is the G3 EXP Sport Upland. Looks like this goes for $410. G3 EXP also allows you to add collars if needed. It appears that you'll either have to get a used collar or get a new one without a beeper to stay under $300. I'd sell you my Dogtra 2500 T&B and get a second collar for my Alpha, but I'm not ready to sell my Dogtra until I get this issue with the Alpha collar turning off figured out. You should ask the guys at gundogsupply.com for suggestions. They host this forum. They sell and have reviewed all these products.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes you can add the beeper to the pro 100

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm

There is a sport upland g3 new in box in the for sale forum for 300.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Grab it and growl . :) The beeper will fall under the neck but not a big deal in my mind.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm

For $300 bucks you can check out Collar Clinic they sell re-builds if you are intrested in that route
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Hoosierdaddy wrote:For $300 bucks you can check out Collar Clinic they sell re-builds if you are intrested in that route
You may not need an e-collar at all if your dogs pay attention and take training well.

But if you want one, you do NOT need a multi-function unit with lots of buttons. You just need something that will always work and deliver an adjustable stimulation when you need to. I have bought reconditioned Dogtra 500 collars from the Collar Clinic (800-430-2010 - they are in Michigan). These are very good simple collars and have done everything I need for the past 25+ years. In fact, I still have the first one I ever bought and it works fine. Last one I bought (2007) was $199 + $15.00 for the charger. This will mean more money for training birds, so... more training.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Thank you Im going to go with the Tri-tronics G3 beeper. $365 not bad. I would love a Tri-tronics 100 with a beeper but I run my dog every day off leash he comes when called and is learning whoa well. And Im not a pro so I dont think I need anything pro.

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I have a 8 month old brittany pup. I bought the Tritronics G3 Sport Combo. I've only had it a month or two, but I like it a lot. I use it on my other dogs mostly right now.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:15 am

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=41268

Check this out before you get your collar.

I don't like the basic because they are not rechargeable and a half mile range can screw you one day.
Just sayin.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 am

I bought a two dog unit in great shape on ebay for 1/3 the price of new. One of the collars had obviously never been used. $300 dollars would buy a lot of collar in that venue. Focus your search on "used" and "auction only".

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am

I have used the TT Flyway Special for years without any need for something more ofr different.

It is the same as the Pro 200, but without the tone feature, I think.

Anyway it has 6 levels of continuous stim and 18 levels of nick. It is all over the net for $419.

I find that, the way I train, I use the nick mode FAR more often with my dogs than I do the continuous. There are two nick buttons on my XLS model, one is 1/3 the level and the other is 2/3 of the level. Pressed simultaneously the nick is the full level. I have very good success getting a dog's attention (at very low stim levelsusually) by hiting one button then the next,a nd repeating in rapid succession, occasionally pressing both together.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

campgsp wrote:viewtopic.php?f=112&t=41268

I don't like the basic because they are not rechargeable and a half mile range can screw you one day.
Just sayin.

???.......... The receiver is re chargeable and the battery in the transmitter I've changed once in 10 years.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Sharon wrote:

Just sayin.

???.......... The receiver is re chargeable and the battery in the transmitter I've changed once in 10 years.
I was mistaken then. :oops:

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Sharon wrote:

Just sayin.

I second that emotion. My buddy has had the TT G3 sport basic for quite a few years, and it has been rock solid from day one. Absolutely no problems with it. In fact he just added a second receiver last Fall and the setup for it was a piece of cake. I suppose he's getting close to needing a new battery in the transmitter, but that's the breaks. And as far as 1/2 mile range goes, I don't know what the terrain is like where you run your dogs, but around here a dog has been out of sight long before it gets a half mile away! That's never been an issue for us.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Just a couple of points on range of a transmitter...

The listed ranges are pretty much a best case scenario...flat level ground that is mostly open cover. In heavy cover or in hilly terrain, the range can be significantly less.

A dog that is going hard can easily do speeds in excess of 18 mph. That is 0.3 miles per minute. Sooooo, in 120 seconds a dog that is chasing a deer right from in front of you will be well past the half mile mark and out of range even in light cover. If the dog is out away form you 100 yards or so in the woods when it starts on a deer, it will be out of range a lot sooner than that.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 pm

campgsp wrote:
Sharon wrote:

Just sayin.

I was mistaken then. :oops:
No problem. It happens to most of us weekly and some are even wrong once a year. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm

quote="campgsp
I was mistaken then. :oops:[/quote]

No problem. It happens to most of us weekly and some even admit to being wrong once a year. :)[/quote][/quote]

magspa

Post by magspa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 pm

I agree that the TT 70 is a good simple collar and in your price range. I got the field 90 and wish i would have saved the money and went with the 70, the only difference is the 90 has nick and continuous. I always use continuous and just tap it. If the dog isnt obeying then hold in until he/she does, assuming properly conditioned to the collar. And the tone is great for silent recall. Plus has more range than G3. I like the feel of that remote too imo. If you live near a basspro they have a decent selection and their out for you to mess around with (at least the Harlingen TX store.)

mm

Post by mm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 am

I know a lot of guys dont like them but I have a sportdog and it has all the settings and can run up to 6 collars. I have two . It is rechargable and I have had it a few years with no problem. It has been wet many times but still works. I dont use all the things it does and find I only use the most basci functions. DO people use all the vibrations and different setting that much. I find that it is rare that I shock my dog. It does not have a beeper you can hear in the woods but it has a beeper tone the dog can hear and I have used that to get the dog to return which is nice so I dont have to yell I just beep her and she comes back. You can get collars from gun dog supply and put the sportdog and the garmin dc 40 on the same collar which is what I do. Next time I think I would like the beeper but I think they can be added also.
mm