chukars

krjens

chukars

Post by krjens » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:00 am

How many of you use chukars for training? Out here in the west they are the "new" upland game because we are losing the pheasant country to the subdivisions. I don't here them mentioned too often in this forum and was just wondering if they are common in other parts of the country or not. Quite a few guys around here raise them to train with as well as hunt them out in the desert areas.

superweimer

Post by superweimer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:30 am

I live in texas, and use Chukar to train my dogs. I like them because even cage raised birds fly well (had problems getting caged raised quail to fly). Chukar have good scent and run a little before they flush. I like them to use them as they are cheap (chick or adults), and they can be raised in groups on wire like a quail. I haven't found a better option for a training bird. P.S. taste good as well!!!!

Regards,
Superweimer
:shock:

seadog

Post by seadog » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:01 am

We use chukars and pigeons to steady up the dogs and then move on to pheasants. I find that over 95% of the chukars that I plant stay where I put them ( put them to sleep) as long as they have over head cover.