Training success

jwnissen

Training success

Post by jwnissen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 am

Just got my shorthair back from RJ of quicksilver kennels in Moses lake Wa and I have to say he is every bit as good as I was told. My dog was pretty messed up from 10 weeks of training with another trainer, long story, but he managed to shoot over her in just 3 weeks. After 5 weeks, she is gunbroke and bird crazy. Now all he has left to do is to get her to point again and to quit eating the birds. She associates the pigeons with really bad experiences so is really timid and will not point, she just stands at your side or between your legs. The good news is that she wants too, but is too afraid too. We are taking a break and cant wait to get her back up there this summer. If there is one piece of advice to people new to gun dogs and trainers, it would be to check up on the progress of your dog and if something doesnt feel or look right, speak up and not be afraid to pull your dog out of the program!! I wish I would have pulled her out within the first month but I trusted a highly recommended trainer. He does amazing work, I just have a sensitave dog that he didnt have the time to work with so he pushed everything hoping that she would eventually not be gunshy. So, that being said, be involved!! This has cost me a lot of money, but im not going to give up on her, she is smart and has a lot of potential, not to mention I have had her since she was 4 weeks old. Fortunately, this is not the worst case he has ever seen, but she is up there. This has been quite a roller coaster ride, but it will be worth it in the end.

jeffkrop

Re: Training success

Post by jeffkrop » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

This is great news. Good advise also I find it so hard to pick a trainer to teach my dog about the gun.
I worry because my dog is my family house pet and I dont want to scare him.
Good luck with the pigeons.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am

jwnissen wrote:I just have a sensitave dog that he didnt have the time to work with so he pushed everything hoping that she would eventually not be gunshy.
Just out of curiosity, was your dog gunshy when you took it to the first trainer?

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes she was a little gunshy and I told him that. He kept pushing her instead of backing off and going slow.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm

jwnissen wrote:Yes she was a little gunshy and I told him that. He kept pushing her instead of backing off and going slow.
Sounds like you may have gotten some poor recommendations. Glad the new trainer has more sense.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Why did you get the pup at 4 weeks? That is way too early

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:10 pm

isonychia wrote:Why did you get the pup at 4 weeks? That is way too early
Her mom died when she was 9 days old from complications to the births. As soon as she was eating solid food, we picked her up. Not ideal I know.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm

I is a straight shooter.................... told ya you would be happy.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Wildweeds wrote:I is a straight shooter.................... told ya you would be happy.
You were absolutely correct, we even talked about you a little. life is full of choices, sometimes you make the right ones and other times you dont!! That and he was cheaper, until now!!