Turning to me

asimon

Turning to me

Post by asimon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am

Alright, my dog is pretty steady on whoa, i can walk around her throw things towards her, over her head, at her feet and she wont budge. I just have one question, when i yell whoa and give her the hand signal she will turn and look at me then her feet are planted as soon as she can see me, if i am in front of her and do it she does fine because she can see where i am. She is bold in the field and is very confident so i dont think its a confidence thing where she is feeling insecure if she cant see me, is this a problem?

UpNorthHuntin

Re: Turning to me

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

asimon wrote:Alright, my dog is pretty steady on whoa, i can walk around her throw things towards her, over her head, at her feet and she wont budge. I just have one question, when i yell whoa and give her the hand signal she will turn and look at me then her feet are planted as soon as she can see me, if i am in front of her and do it she does fine because she can see where i am. She is bold in the field and is very confident so i dont think its a confidence thing where she is feeling insecure if she cant see me, is this a problem?
Is she looking for you in anticipation of the hand signal and witing for the hand signal before she whoas? Maybe start eliminating the hand signal from the command so she is not looking for it, but rather "q"ing off the voice command alone.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Barrel.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt she will look at you if you say it when a bird is in front of her.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Winchey wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt she will look at you if you say it when a bird is in front of her.
I've seen it happen.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Most dogs you should just keep your mouth shut aslong as they stay on point,saying whoa breaks their concentration & they let down some what,turn their head,etc.The more experienced dogs stay focused & you need say nothing.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 pm

UpNorthHuntin wrote:
asimon wrote:Alright, my dog is pretty steady on whoa, i can walk around her throw things towards her, over her head, at her feet and she wont budge. I just have one question, when i yell whoa and give her the hand signal she will turn and look at me then her feet are planted as soon as she can see me, if i am in front of her and do it she does fine because she can see where i am. She is bold in the field and is very confident so i dont think its a confidence thing where she is feeling insecure if she cant see me, is this a problem?
Is she looking for you in anticipation of the hand signal and witing for the hand signal before she whoas? Maybe start eliminating the hand signal from the command so she is not looking for it, but rather "q"ing off the voice command alone.
+1

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm

I think its a good thing. Whoa is not used for pointing, its used for teaching backing and many other things. If she spins at a distance on a whoa say while doing a retrieve then u can give the back or a over comand. I think its perfect

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Shes not broke on whoa.
Last edited by Allin13 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 am

Hattrick wrote:I think its a good thing. Whoa is not used for pointing, its used for teaching backing and many other things. If she spins at a distance on a whoa say while doing a retrieve then u can give the back or a over comand. I think its perfect
So you are trying to teach a back and when the dog sights the backing dog/dummy you give a whoa and the dog spins around to look at you then what?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Hattrick wrote:I think its a good thing. Whoa is not used for pointing, its used for teaching backing and many other things. If she spins at a distance on a whoa say while doing a retrieve then u can give the back or a over comand. I think its perfect
+1. the dog is respecting your authority and waiting for the go ahead to continue the search. It's similar to dogs that, when on heel, have their eyes locked on the handler.

asimon

Post by asimon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks that makes me feel like i did something right :lol: even though i was for awhile correcting that :lol: