ragdolling?

Big bloc

ragdolling?

Post by Big bloc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 am

I have a 13 month old EP female. She did good during hunting season on down birds. I am fine tuning her retrieve fetch. She wants to do the victory lap. I have a area set up 35 ft long and 10 ft wide. I am using a frozen pigeon and she is a 100 percent on getting it. The problem is she started to swinging around in the air on her way back and shaking it. She is not hard mouth at all. She will give it up. Will she out grow this? Or do I start FF. I do not want to FF if I don't have to. We only do about 6 to 8 retrieves per session.Thanks
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Doc E

Re: ragdolling?

Post by Doc E » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am

IMO, it's time for FF (make sure you do it right).

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am

The check cord or the e-collar with "Here" will take care of that victory lap
FF will get her mouth in order.
Might try putting her up ( on every session ) if she don't behave...assuming she know's how to do it right in the first place. Don

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 am

I'm not sure if this is the best way of doing things, or if this is a fairly standard practice, but my pup knows the difference between retrieving and playing. I'll have the same bumper and if I say "fetch" he will retrieve and bring the bumper to hand, but if I just say ok, he knows he can choose to pick it up, he can run around with it, toss it in the air and drop it whenever he wants. The only thing he can't do is lay down and start chewing the bumper. All I did to get to this point was teach hold and correct unwanted behaviors as they came up. He has a strong response to heel, so if I gave the fetch command and he started playing instead of retrieving, heel helped get my expectations through his head. Hold helped with the expectation that he doesn't throw the bumper around. A full FF program would work well too.