Help CBR to heel plus more

lstaples22

Help CBR to heel plus more

Post by lstaples22 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello, I have a 6 month old CBR and was wondering if any one had any good tips on how to get my pup to heel. Also, do clickers work well with these dogs...I wouldnt see why not. And, does anyone have a good way of training on introducing a gun to your pup. I have done the reading but would like to hear from people who have done it themselves. Should these dogs be brave or skittish the first time when you go shooting, I guess im wondering what should I expect. Thanks for the help.

Doc E

Re: Help CBR to heel plus more

Post by Doc E » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm

lstaples22 wrote:1. Hello, I have a 6 month old CBR and was wondering if any one had any good tips on how to get my pup to heel.

2. Also, do clickers work well with these dogs...I wouldnt see why not.

3. And, does anyone have a good way of training on introducing a gun to your pup.

4. Should these dogs be brave or skittish the first time when you go shooting, I guess im wondering what should I expect. Thanks for the help.
1. Follow a good modern sequential training program................ Are you following a training program (book / DVD) ? ?
2. IMO, Operant Conditioning is done much better with treats than with a freakin' clicker
3. See answer #1
4. Chessies should always be brave warriors (again, refer to answer #1).

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm

I agree with everything Doc said, but I feel clickers mixed with reward / treat training works well, at least it has for me.

Corry

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am

Get a good training program and follow it. There are quite a few out there. You said you have done the reading. What program are you following?

When a dog is properly broke to the gun he will associate that gunfire with birds or the chance to get to retrieve therefore the gunfire should be music to his ears!

Take your time with him. He is only 6 months old, your not in any races. Do it right the first time and you don't have to spend twice as long correcting something that should have been done right the first time by taking the extra time originally. No short cuts in training. You can double up on some stuff but it still takes time.

Don't know much about clicker training but I don't see it in any of my dogs futures or future dogs.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 am

This topic comes up a great deal on this site. My response can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=40024

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 am

Doc E wrote: 2. IMO, Operant Conditioning is done much better with treats than with a freakin' clicker

???
clicker is not a reward. It is not only not an alternative to treats it USUALLY but NOT ALWAYS preceeds a treat. It is a behavior marker only. It is a clearer way to say "good dog" that is not impacted by body language, emotion, or lack of consistency.
If you don't know how to use something it probably won't work well for you.

lstaples22

Post by lstaples22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Doc E wrote:
lstaples22 wrote:1. Hello, I have a 6 month old CBR and was wondering if any one had any good tips on how to get my pup to heel.

2. Also, do clickers work well with these dogs...I wouldnt see why not.

3. And, does anyone have a good way of training on introducing a gun to your pup.

4. Should these dogs be brave or skittish the first time when you go shooting, I guess im wondering what should I expect. Thanks for the help.
1. Follow a good modern sequential training program................ Are you following a training program (book / DVD) ? ?
2. IMO, Operant Conditioning is done much better with treats than with a freakin' clicker
3. See answer #1
4. Chessies should always be brave warriors (again, refer to answer #1).

Referring to "chessies should always be brave warriors"...okay, how about when thats not the case. I know my girl is only 6 months but she isnt the bravest....

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

yes not all chessies are tough as nails anymore....

Getting on a proven program will be the best thing you can do for you and the dog....

Heel can easily be taught with a lead and a flat collar, or a pinch collar if needed. I like to tie the dog off to a tree or post, or something solid, walk away (out of sight) and let him fight the tie out all he wants, when he gives up he's learned to give to his neck.....Heel should go much easier after that. Just give him slack, make a turn and correct with a sharp tug, not a pull more like a snap/tug.....when he learns to walk beside you start to use the word heel only when he's in the heel position at first.

Beyond that get on a program and follow it to the letter....its how your going to be able to stay consistent and avoid confusion in the dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 pm

lstaples22 wrote:Referring to "chessies should always be brave warriors"...okay, how about when thats not the case. I know my girl is only 6 months but she isnt the bravest....
I'm always amazed at the comments folks make about CBRs :roll:

As others have mentioned are you using a training program and if so, which one? If you have never trained a retriever you might research retriever clubs in your area and join one...nothing like personal hands on help. You might also ask your breeder for help?

Have you taken the pup to any puppy socialization/obedience classes? I highly suggest group obedience classes for young CBRs and not the Petsmart/Petco kind. AKC obedience clubs have great classes and on the AKC site you can search and see if there is a club in your area. Not only is the young dog learning in class but it is an excellent way to socialize your pup in a controlled atmosphere.

Personally, I don't want a brave but a confident dog :wink: CBRs thrive on structure and need socialization in their life. I bet once you start an obedience program and stick with it you will start seeing a more confident pup 8) Good luck!

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 pm

I used Brad Higgin video from 3 years ago to train my current dog to heal. The dog really got the idea much faster than my previous dog.(Labrador)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FEQcCY1E0

Brad just posted a new video about teaching a puppy to hunt. I personally like his method of naturally training the dog to do what you want. Not sure how it would work with a CBR but I am sure you could ask Brad.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 am

We've used the Smartworks program for our current Chessie. He's coming along well and had a really positive first season this year. He initially lacked some confidence and was gun sensitive to start out (we got him at 11 months old). He's now a hard charging machine. We intro'd the gun using Perfection Kennels method - we actually did it there at Perfection Kennels. The rest of his program has been straight Smartworks.

Ditto the socialization. Every dog needs it - IMO, Chessies need it twice as much as a "typical" lab.