Choosing a Texas Trainer

GSP_Hunting Machine

Choosing a Texas Trainer

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

I have an 11 month old GSP pup that I would like to have some assitance in training. She has yet to have birds shot over her and is hit/miss with retrieving. Ideally I would like for her to be a reliable duck/waterfowl retriever and feel that this area is where I will need the most help (force fetch). She has awesome prey drive (would rather hunt than retrieve). I have spoken with numerous trainers around the Houston area but have yet to actually vist with one in person.

-There seems to be a great deal of lab trainers out there.....Should I be leary of their ability to train a pointer?

-With pricing ranging from low, mid, high is there THAT much differece in a moderately (fair) priced reputable trainer to the Most expensive?

-What should I expect and be looking for at this point in my dogs training and qualifications in a trainer for a pointer w/ emaphais on pulling out the RETRIEVER in my dog?

Thanks in advance!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Choosing a Texas Trainer

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:19 pm

There is s good pointer trainer in simonton. Call Rio Brazos Hunt Preserv for his contact info. Tell them Jeff Ort sent you. Where are you?

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Do be Leary of folks that just train Labs, not that their not good at what they do. Most have not had enough experience with versatile breeds. I've seen it quite a few times the trainer will keep the dog for a month or two then tell the owner that the dog doesn't "fit" in their training program.
I would ask any trainer I was considering, what breeds they have worked with.

Iam not familiar with your area, but the last post seems to be a good choice, and price shouldn't be a determing factor if you find the right folks.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 pm

If I was wanting to get a shorthair force fetched in Texas, I would contact Tina Carles or Tonya Doerring (sometimes known as the Richter sisters) in San Angelo. I've seen their work. They do a fine job.

LAHunter

Post by LAHunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 am

Have any of you heard Anderson Gun Dogs? I'm wondering if any of you know if they are a good training kennel? New here. Thanks for the info. Great information to be found on here.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 am

Tejas wrote:If I was wanting to get a shorthair force fetched in Texas, I would contact Tina Carles or Tonya Doerring (sometimes known as the Richter sisters) in San Angelo. I've seen their work. They do a fine job.
I have a dog with them now and know a number of dogs they have trained......Very reasonable as well and they do a great job.

Google T&T Bird dog training in Christoval, TX

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 pm

Tyler S wrote:Do be Leary of folks that just train Labs, not that their not good at what they do. Most have not had enough experience with versatile breeds. I've seen it quite a few times the trainer will keep the dog for a month or two then tell the owner that the dog doesn't "fit" in their training program.
I would ask any trainer I was considering, what breeds they have worked with.

Iam not familiar with your area, but the last post seems to be a good choice, and price shouldn't be a determing factor if you find the right folks.

This sounds like a situation that would be likely to happen. I could see my GSP giving up on the retrieving and letting her insticts kick in to hunt em up!

I don't know if talking price is appropriate but I will say it has been reasonable, questionable, and REALLY?? It seems like your price may be contingent on who you know OR what they can get away with. I am really only referring to the EXTREMELY high priced trainer. Nonetheless, I am Leary of some folks and most importantly I want to make sure my dog is treated well.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am

Try Adrian Jackson of poker straight kennels near Amarillo would be first choice for me. He's not gonna feed you some bs to keep your dog longer either.

Dan Hendrix at Phantom kennels.in Abilene trains pointers and labs also. I have done a lot of buying from him and he's been honest on all dealings.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:08 am

gotpointers wrote:Try Adrian Jackson of poker straight kennels near Amarillo would be first choice for me. He's not gonna feed you some bs to keep your dog longer either.

Dan Hendrix at Phantom kennels.in Abilene trains pointers and labs also. I have done a lot of buying from him and he's been honest on all dealings.
+1 on both of these guys.

Joe

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am

I appreciate the feedback. My only hesitation on any of the recomended trainers is that they are a long ways from Houston. If it is absolutley worth it, then I will make arrangements but it seems like I could find someone fairly close to Houston.

Any recommendations around the Houston area?

What is an average cost per month and for how long?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

Have you tried a good training video series like perfect start - perfect finish? Unless this is something where you don't have the time or can't overcome a problem that you have already researched I think its a good option. Give it a shot before spending 350-500 a month.

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

gotpointers wrote:Have you tried a good training video series like perfect start - perfect finish? Unless this is something where you don't have the time or can't overcome a problem that you have already researched I think its a good option. Give it a shot before spending 350-500 a month.
Time is a factor for me at this point. It wasn't when I bought my pup but my situation has changed. Not sure if this is a big deal or not but at the moment my pup is being spoiled rotten at my folks house. I am not opposed to this COMPLETELY but she is not having ground rules/obedience on a dily basis. I am afraid of her becoming "sensitive" in the sense that she curretnly is not having ANY pressure put on her to perform. I'm afraid she may choke under pressure because the last six months have been a breeze for her (not kenneled at night, little obedience training, LOTS of freedom). I may be overreacting......

The trainers I have spoken to have quoted $400/month, $650/month, $800/month.

I REALLY like the guy personally at $650/month; however, he is a lab guy and said he has had 50% with pointers and retrieving. Half weren't worth a darn and the other half were better than the labs. Good guy though.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am

Simonton is only 20 minutes west of Hwy 6. Take your shotgun and shoot some clays while your there or sme quail for that matter. They also have stocked ponds that you can fish.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 pm

I also forgot to mention that the local NAVHDA chapter has monthly training days at that facility and they have a test scheduled for Mar 23rd.the contact person lives in Humble and can probably give you some advice. They hunt out there all the time and alot of his dogs guide. Younwouod see first hand what he produces.

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Does anyone else have any input on trainers close to Houston or opinions on my dog being spoiled by my folks?

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

gotpointers wrote:Have you tried a good training video series like perfect start - perfect finish? Unless this is something where you don't have the time or can't overcome a problem that you have already researched I think its a good option. Give it a shot before spending 350-500 a month.
+1 this way you will have a better relationship with your dog!

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am

I appreciate all the input from this thread as well as the PM's.

I visited with two trainers this weekend (both of which were impressive). I am now second guessing my choice to have my dog put through training. I most defintetly will need consultaion from an experienced trainer IF I decide to train her myself. At this point I have a MAJOR problem with her coming when called (while not on a check cord). She actually ran away from one of the trainers Saturday after we did a little bird work!! I know that she knows her basic comands of (Come,Heel,Sit and Kennel) however, she chooses to not obey when not on a check chord. It seems to me like any trainer is going to basically do a few weeks of bird work and shortly after put the e collar on her and reinforce the "Come" command.

Is my asumption correct and will she need up to 4 months of training?

My first thoought is that she will need some work but not a whole lot of work. Both trainers said she was extremely smart and had a great prey drive. I personally think she will advance pretty quickly through training yielding less time at the trainer.......

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 am

The e collar is just a longer check cord when used properly. I still think viewing perfect start would benefit you more before sending your dog off to a trainer in the long run.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 am

In other words I think you are right there without a trainer. but there's just a few gaps to overcome. And that with some good direction you can fix in less time than spent driving the dog across Texas to a trainer.

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 am

gotpointers wrote:In other words I think you are right there without a trainer. but there's just a few gaps to overcome. And that with some good direction you can fix in less time than spent driving the dog across Texas to a trainer.
I agree with this logic but TODAY (not saying this won't change) LOL......

I am leaning towards using a trainer that is about an hour from where I live. I was reading the sticky's about "Training Wisdom" and it makes 100% sense "You can't have a bird dog without birds". Unfortuantely I live in the city so I may be able to consistently work on obedience with my dog 15-20 mins/day however, I will not have the luxory of going out to the field daily. I really would like to utilize a trainer that will really bring out the "Birdie" in my dog. I have been struglling with keeping the bond with my pup; however, if I know she is being taken care of and enjoying day to day life learning and working birds.....It's a win win. Plus I plan to have an awesome dog come Spring, so it seems logical to me.

Bring on the comments if anyone has them!! You guys/gals are great!!

Thanks for all the sound advice!!

LaTexCLB

Post by LaTexCLB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Check out Rob Martin at TGR Gundog Kennels. He has trained and handled numerous NSTRA champions. He is about 2.5 - 3 hours north of Houston. I think his going price is $400/month + cost of birds. Real nice guy.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133