Pointing in yard

brianb

Pointing in yard

Post by brianb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Ok, this is probably a dumb question. I have a 5 month old english setter and everytime we go outside on his leash to play or go potty he's pointing birds surrounding our yard; sparrows, cardinals etc.. It's bitter cold most days and normally we want to get him out and in. Is this bad to be pulling him off point all the time with his leash? He loves birds and would point all day. We're getting him off point against his will. It takes a lot of pulling on the leash to get him in. Bribing with treats doesn't work.

I'm a newbie to pointing breeds so any info helps.

Thanks!

BellaSpinone

Re: Pointing in yard

Post by BellaSpinone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 am

Dress warmer...

smittty

Post by smittty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 am

its not a bad thing at all... and as far as you pulling him off point thats fine he will figure out in time game birds are what he should be pointing and he will leave the song birds alone ..he's just being a puppy ..my dogs point crikets, honey bees.even flys ..let him be for know and have some fun he will figure it out

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

If the pup continues this in the field use it as an opportunity to teach the command "Leave It" I had a GSP the loved Bush Wrens she would never leave them, so eventually a mild shock combined with "Leave It" she would get the message for the day but she never lost the want to point/chase the Wrens. It also works well on Mousers.

Grant

mask

Post by mask » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I let pups point anything they like and praise them for it. They seem to like butterflys and grasshoppers a lot. Dress warmer and let him have fun he will figure out the difference between the birds you want soon enough.