Drive

waterfowltime26

Drive

Post by waterfowltime26 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:05 am

I have a black lab, she just turned 3. I have been working with her on a strong obedience base and now I'm introducing the retrieving aspect. I'll throw the bumper and she will run as fast as possible get it and then run back but drop it 3 feet in front of me or start running in another direction with out the dummie. How can I get her to want to complete the fetch better and hold on to the bumper longer.

campgsp

Re: Drive

Post by campgsp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am

Force fetch.
But also you can try walking backward when she is coming towards you with encouragement to bring it to you. When she gets to you make her hold the dummy. This is the old quick and easy way. Remember reps is what makes it stick.

larue

Post by larue » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 am

Put her in a hall way where she cannot run by you,and do not take the dummmy from her right away.pet her first for a minute or so,then take the dummy.
she knows you are going to take it from her so she is dropping it early,by waiting a bit you will break that chain.
sounds like plenty of retrieve,she just does not want to give it up.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 am

waterfowltime26 wrote:I have a black lab, she just turned 3. I have been working with her on a strong obedience base and now I'm introducing the retrieving aspect. I'll throw the bumper and she will run as fast as possible get it and then run back but drop it 3 feet in front of me or start running in another direction with out the dummie. How can I get her to want to complete the fetch better and hold on to the bumper longer.
If your plans are to train a reliable retriever, especially for hunting, you'll need to formalize her obedience right now! And that will start with formalizing "Here" (or whatever command you use to call the dog). I'm guessing you're not following a proven program for training?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 am

EvanG wrote: I'm guessing you're not following a proven program for training?

EvanG
That was my first thought as well.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

waterfowltime26

Post by waterfowltime26 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

EvanG wrote:
waterfowltime26 wrote:I have a black lab, she just turned 3. I have been working with her on a strong obedience base and now I'm introducing the retrieving aspect. I'll throw the bumper and she will run as fast as possible get it and then run back but drop it 3 feet in front of me or start running in another direction with out the dummie. How can I get her to want to complete the fetch better and hold on to the bumper longer.
If your plans are to train a reliable retriever, especially for hunting, you'll need to formalize her obedience right now! And that will start with formalizing "Here" (or whatever command you use to call the dog). I'm guessing you're not following a proven program for training?

EvanG
No I am following tom dokkens retriever training book. She comes right to me but for a split second she tries to change direction on the way out or coming back in.