Pup is not working close enough

pkbirdog

Pup is not working close enough

Post by pkbirdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm

When I take pup out for her daily run she has done great at staying within about 100 feet in front of me. Well lately she has been just taking off 200 yards or so in any direction from me. I took her to my cabin this weekend and we had 3 foot of snow so I cut her loose for the experience and before I knew it she was out of sight. 10 minutes go by and she comes running back. It happened everytime. Soooo, I know this is something I have probably reinforced so what do I have to do to correct this?
She is a 5 month old GWP.
'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

"Isn't it amazing that almost everyone has an opinion to offer about the Bible, and yet so few have studied it."
R.C. Sproul

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup is not working close enough

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

If you want to correct it you will nee to work on her recall. If she was mine I would be tickled pink she was willing to get out from under my feet.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Recall? You mean when I say "here" she comes? Is 5 months old too young for her to learn that? I have been working on "here" since I got her and she gets it most the time but when we are out running she just gets on her own program. When she dosent listen when I say "here", I don't continue to say it, I just wait untill she starts running towards me and say "here" and then praise her.
'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

"Isn't it amazing that almost everyone has an opinion to offer about the Bible, and yet so few have studied it."
R.C. Sproul

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:29 pm

At 5months I would put a Garmin on her, zip my lips and let her loose. You can always reel them in but it's harder to get them to go out. Let the pup explore and gain confidence.
Last edited by Brazosvalleyvizslas on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm

It's been said on here a number of times, one she's a young dog, two, you can take run out, but you can't put it in. At least she comes back on her own.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:At 5months I would put a Garmin on her, zip my lips and let her loose. You can always reel them in but it's harder to get them to go out. Let the pup explore and gain confidence.
any of garmins are nice. 220/320 and one i have alpha.
my pup at 9 months,SM stays close like 35 yds or so.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Do they make an E-collar with a garmin built into it? I figured when she hits about 1 year I will be buying one anyway.
Abraham Lincoln

R.C. Sproul

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 pm

pkbirdog wrote:Do they make an E-collar with a garmin built into it? I figured when she hits about 1 year I will be buying one anyway.
yes, its called GARMIN ALPHA and its BEST thing you will ever buy for your dog and yourself.
will drop you PM

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Like others have said..here is an article that further explains it:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/man ... inting-dog

You can take it out of em, but you can't put it in them. Let her rip the first year or so.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 pm

good article, thanks.
Abraham Lincoln

R.C. Sproul

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

ezzy333 wrote:If you want to correct it you will nee to work on her recall. If she was mine I would be tickled pink she was willing to get out from under my feet.

Ezzy
+1 Also it's a good sign that the pup is coming back. odds are it knows where you are the whole time even if you can't see the pup. But if that range isn't for you you can always train it out.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:48 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:If you want to correct it you will nee to work on her recall. If she was mine I would be tickled pink she was willing to get out from under my feet.

Ezzy
+1 Also it's a good sign that the pup is coming back. odds are it knows where you are the whole time even if you can't see the pup. But if that range isn't for you you can always train it out.
I took her out to new new spot today and just let her go. She gets out there aways but is always checking back for me. After some reading seams like a good thing she is getting out there. I think I just got a little worried I wasn't doing something right.
Abraham Lincoln

R.C. Sproul

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

While she is out of sight sing to her. It lets her know exactly where your at. Let that puppy run. You will be glad in the long run. Once you start getting into birds she will shorten up.

Good luck and have fun.
Joe

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Its funny cause she hears me walking. She is constantly looking back at me, even when she is 200 yards out. When I stopped walking she would pick up on that and and get real still. She couldnt see me but I could see her. She just stopped and waited until I said "here", then she would run at mach 10 to get back to me, check in, and then off again. I was having some fun with it.
Abraham Lincoln

R.C. Sproul

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

I would do a couple of things at this point. I would work on keeping the pup to the front. When the pup gets a couple of hundred yards to the right, then turn 90 degrees to the left. When the pup gets behind, move forward faster. You want the pup to figure out that it is much easier to stay in front than it is to constantly be catching up.

I don't know if you have access to pigeons or not, but this is the other thing that I would do. I would carry a few pigeons with me in a sack on each outing. When the pup gets too far out, I would call to the pup. When you know the pup is looking at you, toss a pigeon. I would do this two or three times per outing. You will have that pup's undivided attention when it is convinced that you crap pigeons.

ScoutB

Post by ScoutB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 pm

100 feet isn't covering enough ground but 200 yards is getting out there a little far for my taste hunting on foot. Where I hunt most of the time you can't see 200 yards in more than 1 direction. I like being able to watch my dog work. I also don't like walking 200 yards to shoot every other bird. Guys who brag about their dogs huge range are riding on something to the point or they wear smaller pants than me.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:At 5months I would put a Garmin on her, zip my lips and let her loose. You can always reel them in but it's harder to get them to go out. Let the pup explore and gain confidence.
+1 Enjoy watching her run chase what ever you can and work on recalling later!

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am

What you have done here could cause Yo yoing, running out and running back,when she stops like that continue on walking maybe even change direction in a quartering away from hern hold up your arm in direction of your travel and command her to move across toward the front with an allright or some other term of satisfaction to let her know she's right where she needs to be.
pkbirdog wrote:Its funny cause she hears me walking. She is constantly looking back at me, even when she is 200 yards out. When I stopped walking she would pick up on that and and get real still. She couldnt see me but I could see her. She just stopped and waited until I said "here", then she would run at mach 10 to get back to me, check in, and then off again. I was having some fun with it.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I will try that tonight. We actually took a couple of days off cause I've been working late. I'm going to take her out tonight and try it out.

Paul
Abraham Lincoln

R.C. Sproul

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Wildweeds wrote:What you have done here could cause Yo yoing, running out and running back,when she stops like that continue on walking maybe even change direction in a quartering away from hern hold up your arm in direction of your travel and command her to move across toward the front with an allright or some other term of satisfaction to let her know she's right where she needs to be.
pkbirdog wrote:Its funny cause she hears me walking. She is constantly looking back at me, even when she is 200 yards out. When I stopped walking she would pick up on that and and get real still. She couldnt see me but I could see her. She just stopped and waited until I said "here", then she would run at mach 10 to get back to me, check in, and then off again. I was having some fun with it.
+1

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 pm

ScoutB wrote:100 feet isn't covering enough ground but 200 yards is getting out there a little far for my taste hunting on foot. Where I hunt most of the time you can't see 200 yards in more than 1 direction. I like being able to watch my dog work. I also don't like walking 200 yards to shoot every other bird. Guys who brag about their dogs huge range are riding on something to the point or they wear smaller pants than me.
Really? You don't like walking more than 200 yards to a point? I walked over 500 yards to my dog last week in single digit weather. I just cut my dog loose and go to her when she points, if that's 100 yards or 500 yards I am not picky! :D