Your Training Weakness

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Your Training Weakness

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Some time ago I posted a thread that inquired about what dog training had "taught you." It gave me some insight when i answered the question myself and saw the responses of a number of others. I have a similar question if you are inclined to share: What do you feel is your biggest weakness as a trainer? Personally, the weaknesses I recognize in myself as a trainer have changed through the years. I was initially impatient, and heavy handed, inclined to emulate training methods I had learned in my youth with the hound guys.

Today, my greatest frustration comes in developing ground pattern. Specifically at a distance. I am comfortable signaling a dog close and get the response I expect, and I get a lot of repetitions doing this on tighter grounds where I train near home. What I believe I need is more work on bigger ground from horseback and atv to develop my confidence, timing and system to keep a dog on the edge. I do acquiesce that the dog needs to want to be there in the first place...but I feel a greater commitment to the process on my part can enhance the behavior.

DogNewbie

Re: Your Training Weakness

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Obedience training I get frustrated easily, especially in scenarios where I get blown off due to distractions. Car rides with the pup are pretty stressful. Anytime we are driving under 40mph he's pacing in the back seat whining and getting anxious. I tell him down and he lays down for seconds before he up again. Of course then I'm trying to drive and correct his behavior at the same time :roll: Ecollar in the car has helped. I need a truck and a dog box :D In the field, the pup rarely gets on my nerves. Most my issues are me reading the pup wrong or poor communication between me and the training partner.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 pm

My stupid pigeons keep flying off on me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:49 pm

I think we are all ready for the trial , then something happens in the trial that we didn't train for. I need to think "out of the box" more.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Lack of time and the funds for lots of training birds.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Lack of experience "reading the dog" and predicting actions based on behavior the dog is showing. This is a skill that I am really hoping to develop some day.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 pm

[quote="Sharon"]I need to think "out of the box" more.[/quote

+1

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Sharon wrote:I think we are all ready for the trial , then something happens in the trial that we didn't train for. I need to think "out of the box" more.
I like to get them on wild birds as much as possible. Not even shooting most of the time with multiple dogs out. Almost everything imaginable happens, STF, honors, bumping, attempts to chase, etc. If they can be solid in those situations they've usually seen it all.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm

bb560m wrote:
Sharon wrote:I think we are all ready for the trial , then something happens in the trial that we didn't train for. I need to think "out of the box" more.
I like to get them on wild birds as much as possible. Not even shooting most of the time with multiple dogs out. Almost everything imaginable happens, STF, honors, bumping, attempts to chase, etc. If they can be solid in those situations they've usually seen it all.
...not unless your wild bird hunting partner and you are on horse back with 2 or 3 judges in tow, a gallery marshal, reporter and a gallery of whatever the number may be. In addition, you may have a handler beside you extremely vocal, vociferous with a whistle, etc... for all the similarities, competitions pose some different challenges than a hunt, and in many ways the scenarios are really hard to recreate.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
bb560m wrote:
...not unless your wild bird hunting partner and you are on horse back with 2 or 3 judges in tow, a gallery marshal, reporter and a gallery of whatever the number may be. In addition, you may have a handler beside you extremely vocal, vociferous with a whistle, etc... for all the similarities, competitions pose some different challenges than a hunt, and in many ways the scenarios are really hard to recreate.
We go out with a lot of people who all handle differently and have had loud people, quiet, etc. Sometimes 4-5+ on horse.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm

I think that the biggest issue that I have is probably not trusting my gut, to often I second guess myself just long enough to throw the timing off. I am sure that I could get a lot more done if I were to react a little faster with what I know I should do.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 pm

My biggest weakness is force fetching--that's why I always try to pick the pup out of the litter that carries and brings me all their toys :roll:

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Mine is lack of experience/knowledge.. And also frustration i have to stand back take a breath and remind myself shes a dog and goes off my gestures volume etc. she doesnt speak english

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I think mine is mostly....SQUIRREL! :mrgreen:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 am

I get bored quickly and easily and tend to skimp when training stays for more than about 30 seconds and I always skimp on heel training unless the dog is a lab. My hunting dogs do what I call "practical heelwork" which means they keep within about 6 feet from me as I walk.
I like to get on with what I call real gundog work just a bit too much.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:26 am

GREATEST WEAKNESS: I like it too much! Just ask my wife! :lol:

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 am

The thing that I do that causes me the most trouble is when hunting, not enforcing the rules every time.
I like to hunt both my dogs at the same time, take vidoe and pictures, and shoot a bird every now and then. So there are times that stuff happens and I don't always address / correct the issue, like I should. So a broke dog doesn't stay broke, or your pigeon broke dog is now moving after the flush on wild quail.
Steve

Sierra Wirehair

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:57 am

I have a question:I haven't trainind a dog for about 12 years. I waited till our dogs got 12 years old(not on purpose) and got a new pup out of the Cascade kennel(GWP). I bought the NAVDHA Green Book and the DVD. I was wondering since it was created in 1984 if Winterhelt's training methods are still the best practices? Is the trainig table a good idea? I like the progression and how the training works off of the Whoa command. Any thoughts here? Sorry if I pirated the thread.

Mic

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:17 am

I don't train enough anymore. And I let the dogs get away with little indiscretions I wouldn't have allowed in the past.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 am

Weakness? Only one?

I, like Joe, struggle with forward pattern. The second weakness; is lack of myself believing that I can handle two dogs in a training session...at the same time.
Dan

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 pm

SetterNut wrote:So a broke dog doesn't stay broke, or your pigeon broke dog is now moving after the flush on wild quail.
I am dealing with the exact same thing, but not on quail, wild quail we are great, wild pheasants... well some good some bad.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Mine, to be brutally honest is the same with my parenting. Focusing to heavily on the negative and not giving enough praise for the positives. Fortunately there will be other dogs for do overs, unfortunately only one son.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Mine used to be and to some extent still is, but I've gotten much better are the sins of the voice.

I've learned to keep my mouth shut more.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Not knowing when to quit when it is good . Not knowing when to quit when it is bad. I have that, just one more, mentality. I have to keep reminding myself to keep the dog hungry for more.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Mine used to be and to some extent still is, but I've gotten much better are the sins of the voice.

I've learned to keep my mouth shut more.....

Ha Ha Ha, I think Walker gives out duct tape when he trains. I learned that one early on. Unfortunately it didnt allow for me to praise either! :lol:
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Training dogs is no problem. Dog owners, on the other hand..... :x

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Not knowing when to quit when something goes good and needlessly prolonging the session.

Always feeling the need to "proof" the dog before it is likely ready.

Judging when a youngster is ready for the next step in forward handling. I like to let them run, but their appears to be a fine line when that can turn into a dog running too big or ending up behind you in the woods. I need to know when to really focus on getting them to pay more attention to me without taking out the run too soon.

Keeping the same training system and just taking a step back when things don't go right. I have ended up trying something different which puts you back to square one anyhow.

Not trusting myself.

There's 5 for ya...I am sure I can think of more!

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 am

I have a problem with training at home i have a hard time not getting frustrated when the dog gets distracted because my other dog is in the house going nuts so I have to stop and take him elsewhere.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 am

Some times I do not step back.
Then the next time I may be a little hesitant to push forward.

The other that used to happen in the begining years ago, was taking things personal.. You know getting POed. if the dog did not get something the way I thought it should.

Now time is my enemy. and loss of my launchers as I work alone.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick