gsp not comfortable with dead birds...

trigger1989

gsp not comfortable with dead birds...

Post by trigger1989 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

My almost 2 year old gsp is having dead bird issues. He will fetch with dummy birds, tennis balls, toys ect. Lately I've had some luck trapping pigeons. He's pointing well with just starting off training but when I shoot them it almost seems like he's not comfortable holding the dead bird in his mouth. He picks it up by the wing or drops it repeatedly and sometimes kinda chews on it then drops it. Is force fetching my only option? Any input is greatly appreciated!

4dabirds

Re: gsp not comfortable with dead birds...

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 pm

It certainly would be your best option.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Pull the flight feathers of one of them and simulate a winged bird and have him chase it down. I'm guessing he'll have that bird in his mouth in no time.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 pm

You may have a vegetarian dog.....
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm

It could be a feather problem. Try sleeving a freshly killed bird.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:It could be a feather problem. Try sleeving a freshly killed bird.
What exactly is that? He's more comfortable with frozen dead birds but fresh killed ones its like he's confused. I started the force fetch process with a dummy a few days ago but he holds it fetches it and brings it back with no problem so I'm not sure I should be putting pressure on him when doing it because I don't want him to relate the pressure with freshly killed birds if that makes sense.

I thought about pulling the flight wings and letting him go after until he learns to pick it up then enforce the hold. But I've heard you dont want to let them catch live birds because it can take away from them pointing...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm

might benefit you to go spend a day with a pro.....sounds like you are jumping around in training and maybe misunderstanding a few things.

you state your dog is pointing pigeons and your shooting them but you started FF a few days ago? is that right?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 pm

trigger1989 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:It could be a feather problem. Try sleeving a freshly killed bird.
What exactly is that? He's more comfortable with frozen dead birds but fresh killed ones its like he's confused. I started the force fetch process with a dummy a few days ago but he holds it fetches it and brings it back with no problem so I'm not sure I should be putting pressure on him when doing it because I don't want him to relate the pressure with freshly killed birds if that makes sense.

I thought about pulling the flight wings and letting him go after until he learns to pick it up then enforce the hold. But I've heard you dont want to let them catch live birds because it can take away from them pointing...
Who's force fetch process are you using?

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 pm

My dog had this problem, he was ok on everything bumpers, balls, and frozen birds. Me and my trainer had hard time to find why the heck he wouldn't fetch fresh killed birds.. He was taking them in his mouth walking maybe 1-2 feet and dropped it and started to play with it.. and sometime he seemed really confused like he was surprised of the birds and dropped like 2-3 feet later.. We just litteraly cut he wing of a fresh killed pigeon and VOILA !!! He retrieved it to hand with no problem he was just walking on the wing and was maybe the birds was still alive or I don't know what but It worked.. It took a bit of pratice with fresh killed bird with no wings and know he fetch them like a pro sometime they are not yet dead and beating wings like a no head chicken that I got the bird in hands..

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 am

When he points birds I'll shoot them for his reward. I started the force fetch method a few days ago from the DVD reliable retrieving. I stopped tho because he retrieves everything just not dead birds. He knows hold, fetch and give but not when it comes to dead birds. I'll try taking the wings off and see what happens. This is my first bird dog so if I'm doing things in the wrong order then my ears are definitely open.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am

trigger1989 wrote:When he points birds I'll shoot them for his reward. I started the force fetch method a few days ago from the DVD reliable retrieving. I stopped tho because he retrieves everything just not dead birds. He knows hold, fetch and give but not when it comes to dead birds. I'll try taking the wings off and see what happens. This is my first bird dog so if I'm doing things in the wrong order then my ears are definitely open.

he's deciding what to fetch which is exactly what FF is about.....will he sit there and hold for 5 minutes straight? will he retrieve multiple bucks or bumpers from down a table with speed and purpose? does he hold those items with no rolling or chomping of his mouth? There is no way in a couple days you could have gotten to retrieving everything in your try of FF ....... which is why above I said your not really grasping the nuances of the process.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 am

You might try thawing the frozen birds out till they are still firm but the neck is completely thawed out. then he'l get to deal a bit with the feather's but the body will still be soft. Curious, have you had him fetch wings?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:32 am

After thinking about it again, like I said mine was walking on a wing and the bird sometime slipped off his mouth and I think he was really scared of the birds cause at the end before we cut the wings of the birds, he was running like a rocket to the birds and was standing right there and looking at us like saying '' there are no way I'm gonna take it today''.. Then when we cutted the wings we made him take adn hold the bird a few time without problems. So we threw it out to make him fetch. The first time he wasnt sure but took it and fetched it to the hand. The second time he made it without stopping, run to the bird and turn around took the bird and run at me without stopping..

So good luck

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks for the responses. I'll try without the wings for maybe a week and see what happens. If no progress is made then I'll have to stop beating around the bush and force fetch him. Again thanks a lot!

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:57 pm

trigger1989 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'll try without the wings for maybe a week and see what happens. If no progress is made then I'll have to stop beating around the bush and force fetch him. Again thanks a lot!
Force fetch is a command to be obeyed like come or heel or whoa. Not an option. Its a process that really doesn't lend itself to shortcuts.