First training ever with birds, need some tips.

GSPaddict

First training ever with birds, need some tips.

Post by GSPaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:54 am

Hello I am now part of a pointer club and I would like to have some tips for my first training day. I will be alone and I have access to pigeons, 3 remote launchers and a big field.

My gsp is 4 months old and never had a bird experience yet. Except the one time that he cought a crying chick who fell from a tree. It got him crazy and he was chasing the attacking parents :oops:

What should I do first?

Here is what I was planning to do :

Bring a pigeon out and let the pup play with him a bit. Should I clip the wings? if so how?

After this, go plant 3 pigeons and walk silently with him to see if he will pickup the sent. If so, I would wait on his reaction and release the bird if he is chasing. That would be enough for one day.

As you can see all of this is very new and exciting to me and would really like your opinion. Thanks

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:49 am

Sounds like he's got some good drive already. I'm always careful with pigeons when introducing young dogs to birds.

I prefer using this method when introducing my dogs to birds. After that I'll go to pigeons.

Link to Method: http://www.uplandjournal.com/departments/gundogs.html
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks for the link. Very good article.

I was wondering, whats wrong with starting with pigeons?

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:01 am

Make sure your dog is on a check cord and don't let him/her get too close to the launchers. 10 feet + You should always have control in a training situation. The suddeness (if that's a word) of the launcher could scare your dog and put it off birds. then you have a big problem. Take someone with you and as soon as the pup scents the bird have him or her release the pigeon or quail. You'll be able to tell when your dog scents the bird.

I personnally think your dog is too young for this, but i mess with setters which mature much slower then some of the continential breeds.

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:11 am

It is possible that he is too young, I wouldn't know. But since he seems afraid of nothing (bigger dogs, electric saws, lawn tractor, etc) I figured I could give it an early try. I am pretty sure the birds won't freak him out. He is chasing cats already and actually anything that moves. Of course this training day would be a no pressure day, only fun.

steingre

Post by steingre » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 am

"The Perfect Start" video covers bird introduction, gun intro, retreiving intro, etc. Certainly not the only way, but it looks like a darn good way!

Here's just one source for it- there are others!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/pestpefisetd1.html

Good luck!!