Dog on birds

krjens

Dog on birds

Post by krjens » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:15 am

I've heard I should get my pup on birds early and often so they get experience and know what they're looking for. I don't raise birds, have pigeons, or can afford to buy countless pen raised birds. How can I get the most experience for the pup without going in the poor house buying a bunch of birds. Does anyone tie the birds so they can only fly a short distance and can be reused? Any ideas would be appreciated.

PA_Sportsman

birds

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:59 am

I realize it is tough but, if there is one thing I would recommend is not to go light on birds. I know it can get expense but skimping on your pup can be detrimental in the long run.

I have used carded pigeons and it works great however if you have a dog with high prey drive, there is a chance that he / she could break and possbly catch the bird. That being said I don't card pigeons any more.

If you have access to someone who might have pigeons recalling to a coop, see if you can use them but don't shoot them. I'm experimenting with my own pigeons now to see if they'll recall. So far 2 have recalled 1 has not.

'm sorry that this might not be want you needed to hear but for your pup's sake, you'll appreciate 2 years from now not skimping on birds now.

Hope this helps.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:32 am

Like PA said again =), Do lots of birds!

If you’re poor like me, go to a new home being built and grab scrap wood from one of their best piles of lumber... hahah no just get the stuff they are going to burn, and build a small cage to keep the pigeons.

Buy a pigeon trap for 35 bucks or so along with a bag of crushed corn.

Put the trap under a bridge or somewhere where there are lots of pigeons. Put the corn around, in, and leading into the trap. In 2 or 3 days, you'll have the sucker FULL.

Be sure to have water in the trap!

Go home and start working the pup. I stopped using the strings because I like the dog to see the bird fly way off! Also, pigeons tend to fly in a circular patter, especially when a string is attached. Some how they tend to come back around and land in your dogs mouth. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Once the pup works well with pigeons, move to quial. Pigeons have a strong sent for the pup and fly hard! Good for training a new pup. However, the quail will fine tune the dog, as they are harder to smell and don't fly as hard....

Grant

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:54 am

Also, when you do make the jump to Quail, make sure that they are used to a call back pen before you start training with them. It will save you time and money.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:13 pm

Grant,

What is the law down there on trapping pigeons, I live in Ontario Canada and the are tons of them a few blocks from my house... the only problem is they are in a high traffic area and I know I would be harrassed by tree huggers.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:45 pm

I called DNR here in GA, and they said that I could trap, kill, etc. pigeons whenever and where ever, so long as I had the permission from the land owner. If its under a bridge he said to get the permission from DOT, and also that it would probably be ok to do without asking DOT. I tried to hide my trap so cars could not see it….

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:42 pm

grant wrote:Buy a pigeon trap for 35 bucks or so along with a bag of crushed corn.
A guy that was very successful trapping feral pigeons told me that he uses popcorn (popped). He liked it because the pigeons could see it really well.

I never asked if he used plain or buttered...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:12 pm

Man, the hoops you have to jump through living in Canada :!:
I am going to call the ministry of natural resources and see what they say.

Using game birds in Ontario is a pain, not only do you need proof that you purchased them, but you need a permit to relase them. And your not allowed to shoot them outside of the regular season. Even if you paid all the fees and got all the permits AND it was during the season, bag limits still apply so you could shoot no more than 3 of your released Quail or Pheasants.

You also need a permit to train your dogs on wild birds out of season. And you can't carry a gun with you while training( to fire while pup is giving chase) your limited to use a blank gun.

So pigeons are pretty much my only hope :!:

Canadian MNR Laws SUCK :evil:

krjens

dog on birds

Post by krjens » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the input. Other forums haven't been nearly as helpful. I'll try to find some pigeons and give it a try. When you put the birds out, what method do you do to keep them there? I've heard of tucking their head under the wing and spinning them. Is that the best way or is there other, more effective methods? Thanks again!!!!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:15 pm

I've head tucked tame pigeons, but I've had trouble with wild ones. I have to wing tuck them. Quail are easy to head tuck....