Leaving 8 week old puppy at home alone

griffey2012

Leaving 8 week old puppy at home alone

Post by griffey2012 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:26 am

I have not got a GSP yet, but I would like to. He would be a hunting/family dog. The problem is that no one will be home for the 8 hours that I'm at work. I feel that the puppy should not be in isolation that long. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this affect their personality? Are there any alternatives besides getting an older dog?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Leaving 8 week old puppy at home alone

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 am

Just a few thoughts for you:

1) Puppy should be brought home when he's 10 weeks old, not 8 weeks old. 8 weeks is old school and there is a lot of research showing the benefits to a pup staying with its' litter until at least 10 weeks old. Many reputable breeders are using 10 weeks as the standard now.

2) Get a winter puppy, you can crate train him and bring him to work at the same time. I have raised several winter puppies by taking them in their crate with me to work. They stay in the vehicle (locked) and I get the pup out during breaks during the day and spend the lunch hour with the pup as well. As long as you're not concerned about the pup getting stolen or the pup getting too hot, it's a great way to go. You get to spend a lot of time with the little one plus they get crate trained VERY quickly with this method. Plus the socialization is killer when you have a pup near your workplace and going to and from every day.

3) If you can't do #2, then make sure you have a dog sitter come in and take him out at least once during the day (with a 10 week old pup, they probably need more than that). Maybe a retired neighbor or a kid home on summer vacation?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am

Not knowing where you live, I would look at the spring time to bring home a new pup. Build an indoor / outdoor kennel set up suitable for your year round weather. If crated in the house, as the last poster said, get someone to come in mid day to take the pup outside to potty. The answer is NOT another older dog.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

RoostersMom wrote: 1) Puppy should be brought home when he's 10 weeks old, not 8 weeks old. 8 weeks is old school and there is a lot of research showing the benefits to a pup staying with its' litter until at least 10 weeks old.
Please cite/reference this "a lot of research"...........

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Sure pup can be left 8 hours but he'll need to poo and pee several times during that time span. You'll come home to a big mess and a dog that needs a bath. He will also have learned to do his business in his crate which is not what you want.

Personally i wouldn't bring a pup home unless I had someone that I could pay to come over twice during the day to take pup out for a pee and play with him.

Also good advice from Rooster's Mom:

"Get a winter puppy, you can crate train him and bring him to work at the same time. I have raised several winter puppies by taking them in their crate with me to work. They stay in the vehicle (locked) and I get the pup out during breaks during the day and spend the lunch hour with the pup as well. As long as you're not concerned about the pup getting stolen or the pup getting too hot, it's a great way to go. You get to spend a lot of time with the little one plus they get crate trained VERY quickly with this method. Plus the socialization is killer when you have a pup near your workplace and going to and from every day." quote
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I like spring puppies, not as quick to take them hunting the first year. Does not matter when you get the pup, the process is gonna be pretty much the same, if you don't want the pup to poop in the house, don't teach it to. Leave it outside restrained. Kennel crate and a small pen would work great. Pup will learn to love it's crate and to not poop in it. I've put pup's in the crate for the night to house break them. Come morning they are more than ready to go out. Dog's don't generally mess their own nest and will hold it as long as they can. Some dog's, though, are dirty dog and they will. I never found a cure other than getting them out on a reg schedule.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

griffey2012

Post by griffey2012 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Bringing the puppy to work and leaving him in the car in a crate is a good idea, except I'm worried it would be too hot rather than too cold in Phoenix during the winter. That gives me the idea of making a crate/dog house type structure for the bed of my truck that is secure and locked up. Thanks for the insight guys.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Eight hours crated during the day followed by eight more overnight is pretty tough for a pup. Would you consider buying a started dog who is housetrained or at least old enough to stay all day alone? That's a lot of crate time and alone time for any dog.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:58 am

marysburg wrote:Eight hours crated during the day followed by eight more overnight is pretty tough for a pup. Would you consider buying a started dog who is housetrained or at least old enough to stay all day alone? That's a lot of crate time and alone time for any dog.
BINGO !!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:42 am

GrayDawg wrote:
RoostersMom wrote: 1) Puppy should be brought home when he's 10 weeks old, not 8 weeks old. 8 weeks is old school and there is a lot of research showing the benefits to a pup staying with its' litter until at least 10 weeks old.
Please cite/reference this "a lot of research"...........

Rob
Crickets.................... :roll:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 am

Why not get a 5x5 weld wire kennel, put a dog house in it and let the dog stay outside. When your at home let it in.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 am

by ultracarry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:47 am
Why not get a 5x5 weld wire kennel, put a dog house in it and let the dog stay outside. When your at home let it in.

Agree, The WX in PHX is not your enemy it is your friend, you can easily raise an outdoor Kennel dog.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 pm

ultracarry wrote:Why not get a 5x5 weld wire kennel, put a dog house in it and let the dog stay outside. When your at home let it in.

nice part about your idea is pup can pee and get water without being in small crate. he can walk around too.
my dad used to put pups years ago on back porch enclosed.
same idea.

just i would not put pup where it can be seen by others.
too much stealing of pups lately.