Retrieving issues

skeetermc

Retrieving issues

Post by skeetermc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:12 pm

I have a three year old GWP that has stopped retrieving in the field. Last year she refused to retrieve on a dowm quail. She went after it, found it, chomped on it a couple times, spit it out and stood over it. I laet it slide thinking she just didnt like the feel of the smaller bird in her mouth. We had just goten back from SD and she had retrived numerous roosters there. Fast forward to this year. I took her om opening day dove season, same thimg happend again she went for the bird, found the bird, chewed it up spit it out, and stood over it, She loves to play fetch in the house with the bumper but not outdooors. I would apprecite any and all advise from the retriving goo-rues

crackerd

Re: Retrieving issues

Post by crackerd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am

If a dog picks one bird but not another, doesn't take a "goo-rue" to see that what you've got is an obedience issue instead of a retrieving issue.

MG

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:56 am

Is the dog properly Force Fetched ?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

skeetermc

Post by skeetermc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:36 pm

No she is not FF. Ive not had to FF any of my GWP's. She is a little softer than my other dogs so I have handled her lighter even with obedience. She has the tendencie to shut down if she feels to much pressure. I had given thought to having a profesional trainer FF her. I just didnt know if she would respond well to that kind of pressure. I think I might take her back to basic obedience in the front yard.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm

skeetermc wrote:No she is not FF. Ive not had to FF any of my GWP's. She is a little softer than my other dogs so I have handled her lighter even with obedience. She has the tendencie to shut down if she feels to much pressure.
Every dog is different -- don't compare one with others.
Some dogs are truly softer, but some are just great manipulators (making you *think* they are soft)(it's a method of avoidance that some dogs are good at).

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker