Separating Litter Mates!

FullExposureOutdoors

Separating Litter Mates!

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:37 pm

I have talked about this before in one of my other forum posts but wanted to get one dedicated to this topic. I just finished separating my two puppies (Rusty & Toby) I'm adding some pictures of how I separated them. I put ply wood up between them but there is still a spot where they can see each other and touch each other if they wanted. Is this ok or should I get a bigger piece of ply wood to go all the way across and separate them completely? I don't have separate kennels just a few cattle panels and a partition between them.

Here are the pics!

Also you can probably see that there is no bedding in there yet, I was going to get some Grass Hay tomorrow, is that pretty good for their bedding? I was going to do wood chips but when we did wood chips about 10 years ago it was always messy and stuck to our dogs, would like opinions on that, I'm guessing blankets would not be a good idea either because they wont dry out very easy if it gets wet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GrayDawg

Re: Separating Litter Mates!

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 am

My .02 cents...........

- You need a roof
- Don't do wood chips (puppies ingest them = BIG vet bill !!)
- Don't do blankets (puppies ingest them = BIG vet bill !!)
- Use straw as bedding (in the barrels) and change it out regularly
- Did I mention you need a roof? :wink:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

FullExposureOutdoors

Re: Separating Litter Mates!

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks Rob, definitely getting a roof on there, I know when they are a little bigger they will go right over the top of that if I don't.
Eventually I want to get the Kennel's that have roofs with them and put the rubber flooring in them. "These pups were a spur of the moment thing because I've been wanting to get back into dogs for a while now and they were available for cheap." They are full blooded but they didn't know the Sire because they have two males and one female. I'm paying for the DNA profiles to get them registered and determine which dog they were Sired from.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely follow it!