Trainer issues

WillieELk78GSP

Trainer issues

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I have a 5 month old GSP and am starting to get into training more and more and I had decided to have the training done by a pro, I contacted him about a couple of months ago and I went up there to meet him, he put my pup on a pigeon which was cool, but since than I haven't been able to get hold of him and when I finally did I scheduled an appointment and he no showed!!! Very frustrating!!!! Easily tried calling about 5 6 times left messages with both the kennel and trainer,( I will not post names of kennel or trainer) , I contacted another trainer in the area and he got back to me within 24 hours very punctual, my question is am I being to expecting? Is this normal for a trainer to do? And I am thinking of switching now but don't want to step on anyone's toes but its getting me upset that I dont want to even deal with the guy
at thanks for the insight!!!
God Bless

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Trainer issues

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 pm

If the trainer is too hard to get hold of to make an appointment and then too busy to keep an appointment, that would not be a situation I would want to deal with going forward. If someone is that unrelaible when you are on top of them, how much training do you honestly esxpect them to do for you when you are NOT on their back about it?

A trainer works FOR YOU. You are the employer, they are the employee. Some folks don't get that.

My advice is : Spend your money with someone who will work with you and for you. Why pay money to get aggravated?

RayG

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 pm

RayGubernat wrote:If the trainer is too hard to get hold of to make an appointment and then too busy to keep an appointment, that would not be a situation I would want to deal with going forward. If someone is that unrelaible when you are on top of them, how much training do you honestly esxpect them to do for you when you are NOT on their back about it?

A trainer works FOR YOU. You are the employer, they are the employee. Some folks don't get that.

My advice is : Spend your money with someone who will work with you and for you. Why pay money to get aggravated?
I agree. When I picked my trainer he asked me if I wanted to see some of his dogs work and makes it a point to get me involved in the training. I never asked to see his dogs work, so that meant a lot to me. If you dont get that warm fuzzy feeling, find someone else. Go tour their facilities and see where they keep their dogs and how they take care of them. There are a couple of good ones on the east side of the mountains.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I see red flags.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:36 am

Dog training is a business.
If he can not meet as scheduled and makes no attempt to postpone, inform, or tell you he is just flat out to busy. Then move on. But you already know that and is supported by what others have said.

It is just plain curtasy If nothing else. (well I can't spell Neither can spell check).
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

WillowyndRanch

Post by WillowyndRanch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 am

You don't owe the first trainer a thing. It's your dog, your money and your decision. Sometimes things happen, injuries, personal problems, whatever. It doesn't mean you don't have compassion, but your dog is in need of training and since the first guy wasn't able to respond for whatever reason I'd look for a different trainer.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 am

Cool thanks everyone, you guys kind of said what I was thinking!!
God Bless

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 am

RayGubernat wrote:
Exactly right, Ray. Just like a doctor, lawyer, or landscaper.

ScoutB

Post by ScoutB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am

If the trainer doesn't have time to meet with you then he is too busy to train your dog. Look else where. My trainer takes a very limited number of dogs at one time. This way he is able to devote the necissary time to each dog and people are getting what they are paying for.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Someone interested in getting your business should be more responsive than that, regardless of industry.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks everyone, I am switching trainers!! I hope this new trainer works out alot better
God Bless