Retrieving and "here"

bb560m

Retrieving and "here"

Post by bb560m » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 am

My dog has a very aggressive retrieve. We practice doing yard work with a ball and he does the same thing with birds usually. He'll go out at full speed, pick up whatever he needs to, comes back at full speed and runs right into me, only slowing down his last step, which is not enough to stop.

Yesterday I thought I was going to need a new knee he hit me so hard...

Any tips to get him to stop before he hits me? I've been taking a step back subconsciously to not get run over and stopped that last night as he should be the one stopping - but that isn't working.

Other than that his retrieve is perfect and intense.

DogNewbie

Re: Retrieving and "here"

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 am

does he know heel? Maybe on his way back command him to heel.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 am

DogNewbie wrote:does he know heel? Maybe on his way back command him to heel.
I don't put that much control on him that since he's going to be doing FTs - trying to get him into a heel during a callback will probably be impossible. During a callback I'll probably step back right before he is about to hit me. His here and retrieve are perfect, he just needs to slow down a couple seconds earlier than he is...

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 pm

try using a place board

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:21 pm

southwayno wrote:try using a place board
like put it in front of me when he is doing retrieves and get him to land on it? i don't know... he's running like 15mph, probably fly right off of it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Make it hurt for him like he does to you. Give him a hard knee in the chest and roll him. About two of those and he won't do it anymore.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:12 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Make it hurt for him like he does to you. Give him a hard knee in the chest and roll him. About two of those and he won't do it anymore.
+1. Some times we over think things, making things seem more complicated than they are, when a lot of times the solution is really pretty simple.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 pm

birddogger wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Make it hurt for him like he does to you. Give him a hard knee in the chest and roll him. About two of those and he won't do it anymore.
+1. Some times we over think things, making things seem more complicated than they are, when a lot of times the solution is really pretty simple.

Good luck,
Charlie
Some may argue that initiating something painful to him upon delivery may deter him from wanting to retreive for you anymore.. But if his motor for the retreive is that strong, I bet you'd be okay with it. You know your dog better than anyone on here, so thats your call.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:01 am

I gave him a little tap on the ecollar this am when I said "here" to make him pay attention a little more and that seemed to help a lot.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 pm

What kind of dog? How old? What training have you done so far?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

EvanG wrote:What kind of dog? How old? What training have you done so far?

EvanG
vizsla, 18mos, he's pretty much steady - practicing his retrieve for callbacks for next FT season. going away to summer camp next week for a few months to polish him up.

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:17 am

Why not just "WHOA" him when he is close, just before he is on you? Then you can take the bird. If you stop him too short, you can always call him in a few steps - at least he will be going a bit slower :D :D . He should get the idea to slow down when close to you after a few repetitions.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:34 am

bb560m wrote:
EvanG wrote:What kind of dog? How old? What training have you done so far?

EvanG
vizsla, 18mos, he's pretty much steady - practicing his retrieve for callbacks for next FT season. going away to summer camp next week for a few months to polish him up.
Teach him "Here" (or "Come" if you prefer) using a lightweight rope for control, and the e-collar condition him to the command. Here is a look at the procedure. Of course there is more to it, but you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDM78DYARc&feature=plcp

Please let me know if you have questions.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 am

I had the same thoughts as Bhulisa ...... I'd raise my hand in a stop signal a few yards before collision occurred.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:36 am

There is no reason you can not have that dog come to heel with the bird instead of stopping in front.
You just start out with the check cord in hand and short retrieves, bring in the cord and direct him to his proper position at heal. And that is where you will take the bumper or bird from him and only there.
FT or HT would not frown on this.

Plus all of the above if you do not wish to have your dog heel with the retrieve.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 pm

I second Evan's advice. Work on "here" separately from any retrieving work. I've also had a few dogs like yours and something that I had success with was throwing a mark, then sitting in a chair. On the dog's return I would hold a bumper up high while sitting down. This seemed to break the dog's momentum as he was focusing on the bumper and my different body posture. You have a problem that a lot of people would like to have....just have to channel his energy upon return. I wouldn't be too concerned about dampening his enthusiasm. Just read the dog.

Duckdog81

Post by Duckdog81 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 am

That's what I had with mine and it didn't take long for him to quit running into me.