Wild birds in my yard

Kiki

Wild birds in my yard

Post by Kiki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

I have a 19mos old english pointer that is not very reliable on point. I think the problem is that we have wild partridge that come in our yard on a daily basis, and because she's not in a kennel or tied down she gets to chase them. I've worked her on launchers and pigeons which she holds fine. But when it comes to partridges (brown, black, chuckar) she pauses and then rushes in. When she was 1yr we traveled to another island and hunted some game she never hunted before (pheasant, quail, erkel, and turkey) and she held point fine, so I was able to shoot over her.

A little background on her and bird exposure. She's been exposed to wild partidge (brown and black) since she was 10 weeks old. She gets to see them in the yard, and also on our weekend outings. Since she was 15 weeks old I've been taking her out in fields so she can get accustomed to her quary and their habits. I figured for the first year I'd let her learn as much as she can on her own and hopefully she'd realize that she can't get the bird. Well she knows that she can't but she doesn't seem to care. I've been using the Perfection Kennels videos as a guide.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

proudag08

Re: Wild birds in my yard

Post by proudag08 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Man that sounds like a hard life... Living in Hawaii and so many game birds they show up in the front yard... Talk about problems... :lol:

Kiki

Re: Wild birds in my yard

Post by Kiki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Man that sounds like a hard life... Living in Hawaii and so many game birds they show up in the front yard... Talk about problems...
Sounds better than it is. On my island I only shot 1 bird this past season. All the game are either on private land or non hunting areas. I know a bunch of people would love to come here for vacation, but I'd rather be in state where I can hunt birds. Like the saying goes, birds, birds every where but not any too shoot. Wait I think it was water water, well somethin like that.