Pigeon loft and dog?

zigzag

Pigeon loft and dog?

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I built my Pigeon loft in the back yard 6x6w 8ft high. Its all wire mesh on 2x4s. My dog runs in the yard and can see/smell pigeons in the loft. At first he went to loft and pointed at scent, now he just walks around it looking at birds with no point. My question is does anybody have experince with dog loosing interest in birds/scent when they can smell and look at birds in the pen all the time? could this lower dogs drive?

Pappy

Re: Pigeon loft and dog?

Post by Pappy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a pigeon coop too. My dog looks at the birds but he does not point. I use to raise pheasants too. Some of my other dogs just looked at the birds. My Brit, when I would put him in the pheasant pen he would point. The same goes with my Short hair. I do not do that very often. When I take my dogs out to train, using the bird launcher, he smells the scents and points at the bird. He is a young dog at 4.5 months. Have you taken your dog to the field and train him with the pigeons.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 pm

My flight pen is right next to the yard. My shorthair mostly ignores the flight pen but slams on point when birds are planted in the yard. I had a setter that wore a race track with a banked turn at the ends next to the flight pen. All dogs are different.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm

zigzag wrote:I built my Pigeon loft in the back yard 6x6w 8ft high. Its all wire mesh on 2x4s. My dog runs in the yard and can see/smell pigeons in the loft. At first he went to loft and pointed at scent, now he just walks around it looking at birds with no point. My question is does anybody have experince with dog loosing interest in birds/scent when they can smell and look at birds in the pen all the time? could this lower dogs drive?

Never seen it happen.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN