Which Bark Collar

TraditionsGSPs2010

Which Bark Collar

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Never bought one and would love to hear opinions on which one to buy and why.

Thanks in advance!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

dbhowell23

Re: Which Bark Collar

Post by dbhowell23 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 pm

I am on my second TT Bark Limiter. Actually, I bought them both at the same time because I was confident in TT's reputation. I was no happy. The first one petered out on me in no time and half the time would correct a bark. The second one does it's job, but not as efficiently as I'd like, especially on longer-coated dogs.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 pm

I've had the TT bark limiter for a year, the dog wears it very regularly, replaced the battery once, works like a charm.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 pm

You know, gun dog supply has the TT on sale right now for $79.99. :idea:

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 am

dbhowell23 wrote:Best one hands down

http://www.amazon.com/Dogtra-YS500-Wate ... B001928NVQ
Why?
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

cheetome

Post by cheetome » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 am

I second the dogtra. TT makes a great shock collar but the bark limiter is junk.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Dogtra YS500.

I also have the TT and Sportdog bark collars, but here's why I like the Dogtra better:

1. It's simple
2. It's rechargeable
3. It's completely waterproof
4. It's similar in size and weight to a regular e-collar receiver (like the TT EXP) - dog doesn't know which one it's wearing
5. And most importantly - IT WORKS!

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 am

I have the sport dog. I was surprised how much I really like them. There is a setting that will up the level as the dog continues to bark and restart it at the lowest setting once they stop, or a setting that starts at the last highest level the dog ended off at. Decent price and they hold a charge well usually 4-5 days and when you do need to recharge them, it's very quick maybe a couple hours at the most. Pretty good bark collar.

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:23 pm

The Dogtra YS300 is the best because,,

it does not increase intensity which will only create a chain reaction of bark, stimulate, bark, stimulate higher,,,ouch,,,,stimulate Higher,,,OUCHH,, STIMULATE HIGHER ect. ect. inhumane?

It has the page feature, nobody else does.
it is rechargeable
you can adjust the intensity while on the dog. No removing and counting blinking lights to see where you are at in the setting.
you can check the level of intensity while on the dog. No need to remove.
And it works flawlessly.
I have a TT bark limiter. It does work but not nearly as user friendly.

http://www.dogtra-ecollars.net/Index.html

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 pm

lol I guess if you stimulate at a low level then it's not inhumane but if you dog continues to bark and the intensity increases it becomes inhumane? Anyway the point was to give you my experience with the product. I'm sure any of the collars listed above will do a satisfactory job.

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

lol I guess if you stimulate at a low level then it's not inhumane but if you dog continues to bark and the intensity increases it becomes inhumane? Anyway the point was to give you my experience with the product.
The biggest fault of any bark Collar is stimulation at the wrong time or stimulation from another dogs bark. Stimulation from another dog can happen with any of them. But it is the nature of the collar to stimulate when the dog barks or makes a loud enough whine. If the lowest setting makes the dog vocal{yelp} that yelp will trigger the collar again and the dog will receive another correction. Which makes the dog yelp because it is higher than the last one. It becomes an ugly chain reaction which is, Inhumane in this Kennel.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 am

Vman wrote:
lol I guess if you stimulate at a low level then it's not inhumane but if you dog continues to bark and the intensity increases it becomes inhumane? Anyway the point was to give you my experience with the product.
The biggest fault of any bark Collar is stimulation at the wrong time or stimulation from another dogs bark. Stimulation from another dog can happen with any of them. But it is the nature of the collar to stimulate when the dog barks or makes a loud enough whine. If the lowest setting makes the dog vocal{yelp} that yelp will trigger the collar again and the dog will receive another correction. Which makes the dog yelp because it is higher than the last one. It becomes an ugly chain reaction which is, Inhumane in this Kennel.
The Dogtra suppresses stimulation for 4 seconds after each triggering event. But just like with an e-collar, if the dog yelps on stimulation you have it turned up too high.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I totally agree with nj gsp. If the dog is yelping upon being stimulated, then the collar is set too high. Just like an e-collar, a bark collar should be set at the lowest setting that the dog responds to.

I have only used the TT Bark Limiter and have nothing to compare it with, but have been totally satisfied with the two dogs that I have used them with. The collar is triggered by the vibration from the dogs vocal cords and not noise, so it should not be triggered by other sounds or other dogs barking.

I like the fact that it is battery operated and does not need to be recharged. It also has five stimulation levels. I started at the lowest setting and raised it until the dog responded to the stimulation upon barking. The receiver is also small compared to other models. I did find however, that with both of the dogs that I used them on that it had to be at a high setting to be effective. It may be though, that both of these particular dogs are not very "soft" by nature, and this only makes sense.

I think that the collar is easy to operate. It has one button that is used to power it on and off and also to change the level of stimulation, depending on the flashing of the lights. You are also able to check to see how many times that the dog was stimulated, however I have never used this feature.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I totally agree with nj gsp. If the dog is yelping upon being stimulated, then the collar is set too high. Just like an e-collar, a bark collar should be set at the lowest setting that the dog responds to.

I have only used the TT Bark Limiter and have nothing to compare it with, but have been totally satisfied with the two dogs that I have used them with. The collar is triggered by the vibration from the dogs vocal cords and not noise, so it should not be triggered by other sounds or other dogs barking.

I like the fact that it is battery operated and does not need to be recharged. It also has five stimulation levels. I started at the lowest setting and raised it until the dog responded to the stimulation upon barking. The receiver is also small compared to other models. I did find however, that with both of the dogs that I used them on that it had to be at a high setting to be effective. It may be though, that both of these particular dogs are not very "soft" by nature, and this only makes sense.

I think that the collar is easy to operate. It has one button that is used to power it on and off and also to change the level of stimulation, depending on the flashing of the lights. You are also able to check to see how many times that the dog was stimulated, however I have never used this feature.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Sorry for the double post. I don't know what happened and I'm not able to delete one. Moderator, can you delete one for me please.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 am

The Dogtra suppresses stimulation for 4 seconds after each triggering event. But just like with an e-collar, if the dog yelps on stimulation you have it turned up too high.
My opinion on this is a little different due to my own pesonal experience with bark collars. And that is, unlike the proper use of the e-collar, if the stimulation on the bark collar is not high enough to make the dog yelp, it is not effective and will not stop the barking. As I said, that has just been my experience. I have the TT bark limiter and am pretty well satisfied with it, but after reading this thread, I think I would go with the Dogtra if I ever buy another one.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way