NAVHDA training day -- what to expect

SpinoneIllinois

NAVHDA training day -- what to expect

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm joining the area's NAVHDA chapter and will go to my first training day this weekend. Can anyone tell me what to expect? The agenda is steadiness/intro to water.
Are there mentors who lead the training? Is it every man for himself (or woman)? Do the members and dogs, as a group, take turns doing the same drills?
Or is every chapter different?
Pup is just three months old, so I don't expect her to impress anyone. But I'm really anxious to get some good advice on water introduction. Pup seems to really like the water, just hasn't really done any swimming yet.
Just curious how the training days work. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: NAVHDA training day -- what to expect

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Good people at these functions so I am sure you will get good advice.

I have a friend that is well known Briard handler and lives in NYC who decided to get a Spinone and she brought the dog to a 112 NA score in late May.

The people at the Rock Tavern Chapter helped her out a lot.

steamer

Post by steamer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm

in our chapter we have leaders that run the show . it helps to have someone in charge to keep things moving along . we also take turns doing the same work such as everybody does there field work then move on to water work. it seems that each dog is at a different level so each drill is adjusted per where the dog is in the training. you do need to speak up and let everyone know where your dog is in its training and if your not sure ask for help. make sure you take plenty of water for you and your dog and make sure to take water in the field when its your turn.you might take some food for yourself also. take some cash in case there are some extra birds if you havent ordered any. a check cord and leash would also be good to have. have lots of fun and learn all you can . i try to go out in the field with each dog . it helps me by seeing all the different dogs and how they respond to different training techniques. what chapter did you join? you could have your pup ready for an na test this fall. good luck have fun

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 pm

steamer wrote: it seems that each dog is at a different level so each drill is adjusted per where the dog is in the training. you do need to speak up and let everyone know where your dog is in its training and if your not sure ask for help. make sure you take plenty of water for you and your dog and make sure to take water in the field when its your turn.you might take some food for yourself also. take some cash in case there are some extra birds if you havent ordered any. a check cord and leash would also be good to have. have lots of fun and learn all you can . i try to go out in the field with each dog . it helps me by seeing all the different dogs and how they respond to different training techniques. what chapter did you join? you could have your pup ready for an na test this fall. good luck have fun
+1 especially the part about watching every dog.

Remember, everyone has a different dog which responds to its trainer a different way. try to look for the general trends everyone is working towards and then evaluate what different techniques people are using to get there. You'll find something you'll like and what will work for you. Don't be afraid to ask how long folks have been involved and what level they are training for or have tested for in the past. Newbies are so much faster excepted if you jump in and offer to help with the grunt work. The folks helping you with you dog are woking hard and reciprocating goes a long way!

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I do not do Navhda but I have the greatest respect for the folks in my area chapter. I can only tell you that the folks at the local Navhda chapter (Delmarva) are really good people and genuinely interested in both training their dogs to the highest level possible AND helping everyone else to get there as well. I suspect that your local chapter is very much the same.

Talk to the folks who are in charge of the chapter and let them know just where you and your dog are. I would bet they wil lsee to it that you are given what you both need.

Have fun.

RayG

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 pm

NAVHDA is all about people helping each other train their dogs. People who show up at a clinic expecting someone to train their dog for them are usually disappointed. My approach is this - keep my mind open, my mouth shut, and learn as much as I can. There is lots to learn, but remember that these are people just like you, and nobody is getting paid to be an expert. You will see and learn LOTS of different ways to approach training, but remember every dog is different, and different people train differently.

YOU are in control of your dog. Do not let anyone touch your dog but you - until you get to know them, know the way they train, and you approve of their techniques. I say this because at one of my first clinics, a person helping me work on steadiness pressured my dog too far, to the point where she would lay down when you went in to flush the bird. This problem took a long time to fix, but I fixed it. It was a setback, nothing more, but one that could have been avoided. My GSP is stubborn, but soft - so this other person's heavy-handed techniques worked fine with his dogs, but shut mine down. Oh no, not another learning experience!

I have greatly enjoyed being with NAVHDA, and have made the best friends I've ever had because of it. My NAVHDA friends are like family.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Now I get the picture.
I'll heed everyone's advice. I'm excited and, I have to admit, a little nervous.
In response to one of the questions, it's the Missouri Upland chapter. I went to one of their tests a few weeks ago, and they all seem like great folks.
I'll let you know how it goes. Better hit the hay -- long drive and long day ahead tomorrow!

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 pm

I should not have made the assumption you were going to an IL training day this weekend! I am guessing I shook your hand today as I am the secretary for the MO uplands club. Hopefully you had a good time. I was in a series time crunch today due to needing to delivery a puppy early this afternoon.

That was our first time on those grounds and we teamed up with a couple other groups at the same time. I encourage you to provide any feedback you might have.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes, David, I did meet you.
The day was fun and productive. At the start, pup and I lined up with the other pups and owners, and each pair went through a couple pigeon drills. She did great -- got the pigeon each time and retrieved to hand!
Then Matt R. took me and the pup out and worked us into some planted birds. She almost pointed -- she paused and sort of said, "There's that smell again, there's a bird here somewhere."
In the afternoon, I watched a group doing duck-search work. I also helped Hal and another gentleman on a couple of their retrieve drills, and I made one attempt at getting Bella to swim.
I talked with a number of the guys and got some really good advice. Phillip gave me a great idea for getting pup to swim.
The day was a little confusing at first, because I didn't realize it was a joint training day with the drahthaar group. But eventually I figured out who was with whom, and where I was supposed to go.

This afternoon I scored some more pigeons and worked her into planted birds again, using the same method Matt showed me. BAM! She pointed! And she was scent-pointing, not sight-pointing. Did it three times! It's amazing how quickly a pup catches on if you're using the right technique.

I want to thank you and the other members for all the help, and for making a newbie feel welcome. Looking forward to the next event!
Brian

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Brian,

Glad you had a good time and it sounds like your pup is really catching on. It was a bit confusing with a couple of groups training on the same grounds at the same time. It was the first time we had ever trained their and we were not only checking them out but also giving them an idea what type of group we can bring out. We are really fortunate to have people like Matt and Sherry involved with out club as they are both very knowledgable dog people.

Hope to see you at one of the upcoming training days.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs